Community Services Committee

 

  BUSINESS PAPER

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tuesday 11 October 2011

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Administrative Centre 30 Frances Street Randwick 2031

Telephone: 02 9399 0999 or

1300 722 542 (for Sydney metropolitan area)

Fax:02 9319 1510

general.manager@randwick.nsw.gov.au

www.randwick.nsw.gov.au


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Community Services Committee                                                                          11 October 2011

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Community Services Committee

 

Notice is hereby given that a Community Services Committee of the Council of the City of Randwick will be held in the Council Chamber, Town Hall, 90 Avoca Street, Randwick, on Tuesday, 11 October 2011 at 6:00pm.

 

 

Committee Members:           The Mayor (S Nash), Andrews, Belleli, Bowen, Hughes, Matson (Deputy Chairperson), Matthews, Notley-Smith, Procopiadis, Seng, Smith, Stevenson, Tracey, White and Woodsmith (Chairperson)

 

Quorum:                           Eight (8) members

 

NOTE:    At the Extraordinary Meeting held on 28 September 2004, the Council resolved that the Community Services Committee be constituted as a committee with full delegation to determine matters on the agenda.

 

Apologies/Granting of Leave of Absences 

Confirmation of the Minutes  

Community Services Committee - 13 September 2011

Declarations of Pecuniary and Non-Pecuniary Interests

Address of Committee by Members of the Public

Urgent Business

Community Services Reports

C19/11      Free Film Festival at the Prince Henry Centre

C20/11      Council's Advisory Committee Minutes

Library Reports

Nil   

Notice of Rescission Motions

Nil 

 

 

 

…………………………………………………….

Ray Brownlee

General Manager


Community Services Committee                                                                          11 October 2011

 

 

Community Services Report No. C19/11

 

 

Subject:                  Free Film Festival at the Prince Henry Centre

Folder No:                   F2006/00216

Author:                   Robert Bourke, Venue Operations Officer (Prince Henry Centre); Jaqua Heddle, Manager Community Centre     

 

Introduction

 

Council made the following resolution (Belleli/Smith) at its meeting 22nd September 2009:

 

That  Council considers holding a free film festival (day or night) at the Prince Henry Centre and a report come back on how this may be achieved. If the film festival is successful the Council consider making this an ongoing event.

 

This report recommends that the Council endorse two family Friday Film Nights in this financial year, instead of holding a film festival. This approach will allow council staff to gauge audience response to the venue and the attendance rate. Implementation of the resolution was delayed until installation of the audio visual equipment and window coverings was completed in November 2010.

 

Issues

 

 

Public showing of a movie is subject to public viewing licensing laws.  It requires the council to seek licensing approval from the organisation who has the film distribution rights ‘Roadshow Public Performance Licensing’.

 

There is a fee attached to obtaining a license to screen a movie to the public and this is paid to the film distributor. The fee varies according to the size of the event, location on where the film is being viewed, amount of attendees, and if guest are purchasing tickets.  As Council’s resolution seeks to hold a free film festival, there will only be a minor charge of $200 per film in this instance.  Some films require higher charges.

 

It would not be appropriate to hold the event in day light hours because of the amount of natural light coming into the venue through the sky light in the auditorium. 

 

Film night proposal

 

To test public response, it is proposed that the Council hold two (2) film evenings this financial year, to be promoted along the lines of a ‘Family Friday Film Night’. 

 

One (1) film will be screened each night, films selected are ‘Up’ and ‘Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone’ which has general appeal to all age groups. Licensing can be purchased from ‘Roadshow Public Performance Licensing’ at $200 per film.  To provide a ‘movie like’ ambience, pop corn and soft drinks will be available for purchase by movie patrons.

 

Given that this is an initial attempt at public screenings of selected movies, it is possible that initial attendance rates may be at the lower end of the scale.  Therefore it would be prudent to undertake an evaluation of this initiative to determine the popularity of the film nights.  The evaluation report will take into account the social benefits to the residents from surrounding suburbs, their responses from post event surveys, and value for money considerations.  A report will then be presented to Council upon completion of the two free film night events.  If the Council considers the program to be a success, an appropriate budget could be allocated to it in Council’s annual budget for the next financial year.

 

Relationship to City Plan

 

The relationship with the City Plan is as follows:

 

Outcome 5:               Excellence in recreation and lifestyle opportunities

Directions 5b:            A range of cultural, sporting and leisure activities

 

 

Financial impact statement

 

Per night costs:

 

Venue Hire, Cleaning and Labour                          $2 547.82

Film Licence                                                    $   200.00

Marketing/promotional materials/printing               $   750.00

 

Total                                                                   $3,497.82

 

X 2 Film Nights                                                 $7,000 (rounded)

 

The Council in its initial resolution did not allocate a budget for this initiative.  Should Council resolve to endorse this initiative, funds will need to be identified at the next quarterly budget review.

 

 

Conclusion

 

The film festival will provide a night out, particularly for residents with limited resources to afford family based leisure activities and entertainment.  Friday Family Film Night at the Prince Henry Centre will also give young people an opportunity to attend a constructive activity at the end of a school week or during holidays with family members and friends.

 

An evaluation report will be brought to Council at the conclusion of the two film night screenings, summarising the results of a post event survey to be conducted on both nights.  If the evaluation proves to be positive, the Council may wish to consider allocating an annual budget in the new financial year for similar film nights at the Prince Henry Centre.

 

 

Recommendation

 

That council:

 

1.     endorse the proposed arrangements and expenditure for staging two film nights at the Prince Henry Centre in this financial year to a maximum amount of $7000,

 

2.           funding for the proposed event will be identified in the next quarterly budget review, and that

 

3.           an evaluation report be brought back to Council concerning the outcomes of the film nights, and its prospects for an annually funded event.

 

 

Attachment/s:

 

Nil

 

 


Community Services Committee                                                                          11 October 2011

 

 

Community Services Report No. C20/11

 

 

Subject:                  Council's Advisory Committee Minutes

Folder No:                   F2006/00216

Author:                   Teresa Mok, Manager Community Planning & Development     

 

Introduction

 

At the 10 March 2009 Community Services Committee it was resolved that the minutes of the Advisory Committees be presented to the Community Services Committee.

 

This report brings together for Council’s acceptance, the minutes of previous meetings adopted by the respective Advisory Committees in September 2011.

 

 

Issues

 

As scheduled, the Advisory Committee (listed below) has met and the minutes of the meeting, which reflect discussions and outcomes, are attached.

 

The minutes will also be available on Council’s website after each meeting. This report includes minutes from:

 

·           Access Advisory Committee - July 2010

·           Older Persons Advisory Committee – August 2010

·           Aboriginal Advisory Committee– June 2011.

 

 

Relationship to City Plan

 

The relationship with the City Plan is as follows:

 

Outcome 3:       An Informed and Engaged Community.

Direction 3a:      Effective communication methods and technology are used to share                        information and provide services.

 

 

Financial impact statement

 

There is no direct financial impact for this matter.

 

Conclusion

 

The minutes of these Advisory Committee Meetings are now in order to be submitted to the Council for acknowledgement and acceptance.

 

 

Recommendation

 

That the Council acknowledges and accepts the minutes of the attached Advisory Committees

 

 

 

Attachment/s:

 

1.View

Access Advisory Committee 14 July 2011 (endorsed September 2011)

 

2.View

Older Persons Advisory Committee 3 August 2011 (endorsed September 2011)

 

3.View

Aboriginal Advisory Committee 30 June 2011 (endorsed September 2011)

 

 

 

 


Access Advisory Committee 14 July 2011 (endorsed September 2011)

Attachment 1

 

 

MINUTES

 

Randwick City Council Access Advisory Committee

Meeting held on Thursday 14 July 2011, at the

Randwick Room, Randwick Council.

 

Present

Cr.Margaret Woodsmith          Randwick City Council

Frida Kitas                              Randwick City Council

Chris Donnellan                       Randwick City Council

Tess Protey                            Junction House

 

Apologies

Melinda Ross                          Sunnyfield

Vince Bates                            Headeast

Dianne Thian                           Community Representative

Terry Fletcher                         Community Representative

Anne Patterson                               Community Representative

Phillip Sundstrom                    Community Representative

Andrew Blair                           Community Representative

Jessica Blair                            Community Representative

 

1.    Minutes

 

The Minutes of the meeting held on Thursday 9 June were confirmed.

 

2.    Business Arising from Previous Minutes

 

2.1  Therapeutic Gardening Workshop

Frida tabled the flyers for the Therapeutic Gardening Workshop to be held on Saturday 16 July from 11am – 3pm at Randwick Council’s Community Nursery.  Registrations are essential.  Lunch and morning tea provided.

 

Action:  For information.

 

2.2  Community Mental Health Forum

The Committee was informed that Council will be hosting a Community Mental Health Forum on Wednesday 3 August from 6.30pm – 8.30pm at the Randwick Town Hall.  The Forum aims to raise awareness and promote understanding of mental illness in the community.  Keynote speakers include Rob Ramjan, CEO Schizophrenia Fellowship NSW, Elena Katrakis, CEO Carers NSW and John Malone, CEO Aftercare.  The Forum is designed for people with a mental illness, carers of people with a mental illness and anyone with an interest in mental health issues.  A carer and consumer will also share their personal stories at the Forum. Black Dog Institute, ARAFMI, Carers NSW will also have information tables at the event.

 

Action:  For noting

 

2.3  Twilight Concert Series

The Committee was informed the next Twilight Concert will feature Niramal Jena and the Odissi Music and Dance Company will be performing Soul to Soul, music for healing and meditation.  Nirmal will be accompanied by vocalists Aiswarjini Tripathy and Nancy Rahman, percussionist Tony Lewis and Mark Davis on strings.  The concert will be held at the Prince Henry Centre from 7pm – 8pm on Friday 29 July 2011. Tickets cost $11.20 and $8.20 (concession) including booking fee. For bookings contact 1300 306 776 or www.mca-tix.com.au. Refreshments will be available for purchase.  Flyers and poster were tabled at the meeting.

 

Action: For noting

 

2.4  Disability Sport & Physical Activity Information Expo

Frida provided an update on the Eastern Sydney Disability Sport and Physical Activity Information Expo at the meeting.  The Expo will be held on Saturday 5 November from 11am – 3pm at Randwick Community Centre, 27 Munda Street Randwick. Council is also working with Sport and Recreation, Office of Communities to develop a Disability Sport, Leisure and Recreation Directory for Eastern Sydney.  The directory will also be launched at the Expo.

 

Action:  For information.

 

3. New Business

3.1    Accessible Communities Grant

Frida reported that Council was successful in obtaining an Accessible Communities grant to install a lift near the main entrance of South Maroubra Life Saving Club to make the building wheelchair accessible for patrons.

 

Action:  For noting.

 

3.2  Local Government Week

Frida reported that this year Local Government Week will be held from Monday 1 August – Sunday 7 August.  Special events will be held on each day showcasing the number of venues and facilities operated by Council and will also provide local residents a chance to meet with staff, interact through activities and gain information and experience about the day-to-day activities Council offers the community on an ongoing basis.  Flyer tabled at meeting.

 

Action:  For Information.

 

3.2    Access Issues

Chris reported that Council does not available funds at present to build a toilet amenity near the barbeque area at the Randwick Environmental Park at the Bundock Street site.

 

Action:  For information.

 

Guest Speaker:  Melanie Rebane, Community Safety Coordinator, NSW Fire Brigades

·     NSW Fire Brigades have since changed their name to Fire and Rescue NSW – to more accurately reflect the wider scope of services offered to the community.

·     Most fires begin in the kitchen - Fire and Rescue NSW are trying to reduce the number of fires through their community education and awareness program.

·     The three most at risk groups identified include International students, fractured families: people living alone in NSW and the elderly, particularly those living in regional areas.

·     In the event of a fire this group is more likely to sustain injuries or die.

·     There were 4800 fires in NSW last year

·     25 fatalities in NSW – 9 of these were over 65 years old.

·     Fire and Rescue NSW’s vision is to have zero fatalities.

·     Their focus is on preventing fires in the home, particularly from bar heaters which are also trip hazards for the elderly.

·     Older people have a perception that they have a greater length of time to escape a fire than they actually have – Fire and Rescue NSW on average arrive at the 7 – 10 minute mark when the fire has reached flash point, this is the most dangerous period of the fire.

·     Fire and Rescue NSW have developed a DVD “Better Safe than Sorry”, aimed at Seniors.

·     It covers important home fire safety topics such as kitchen fire safety, using electricity, home heating, bedroom fire safety and the importance of having working fire safety alarms. This resource is available also online at http://www.nsw.fb.nsw.gov.au  

·     They are also working with the Deaf Society to finalise a joint proposal to present to the Minister for Disability in regards to rebates for smoke alarms for the hearing impaired.  Current alarms (which have strobe-lights or vibrating pads in beds) are effective but cost prohibitive at $450 per alarm.

·     Other states provide rebates for such alarms – the rebate, likely to be rolled out by the end of year will be $400.00

·     Melanie also spoke about the Home Fire Safety audit, 1200 smoke alarms are installed in homes as part of the SABRE program.  Visit www.Homesafetyaudit.com.au for more information.

 

4. Information Share.  .

 

5     Correspondence

·     Headeast News, Issue 48 Winter 2011

·     Newsletter of IDEAS July/August 2011

 

6     Date of Next Meeting:  Thursday 8 September 2011

 

 


Older Persons Advisory Committee 3 August 2011 (endorsed September 2011)

Attachment 2

 

 

MINUTES

Randwick City Council

Older Persons Advisory Committee

Meeting held on Wednesday 3 August 2011, Randwick Room

 

 

Present

Cr. Margaret Woodsmith         Randwick City Council

Frida Kitas                              Randwick City Council

Billee King                       Community Representative

George Gergely                      Community Representative

Susan McCann                        Division of General Practice

Jan Muller                               Junction Neighbourhood Centre

Ron Wood                                      National Seniors – Randwick Botany Branch

Mike Cornell                            National Seniors – Randwick Botany Branch

 

Apologies

Linda Mearing                  Coast Centre for Seniors

Anna Lipoma                   Sydney Multicultural Services

Keith Francis                   Community Representative

Sharon Blunt                   Randwick/Waverley Community Transport

 

1. Minutes

The minutes of the meeting held on 6 July 2011 were confirmed.

 

Introductions

Frida reported that Shirley has resigned from the Older Persons Advisory Committee and as secretary of Computer Pals, Kingsford. Frida thanked Shirley for her participation and contribution to the Advisory Committee.  The Committee also issued a warm welcome to Jan Muller who will be representing the Junction Neighbourhood Centre at future meetings.  Frida thanked Billee for taking the minutes at the July meeting.

 

2. Business Arising from Minutes

 

2.1    Community Mental Health Forum

Frida reminded Committee members that the Mental Health Forum will be held on Wednesday 20 August from 6pm – 8pm at the Randwick Town Hall.  Key note speakers include Rob Ramjan, CEO Schizophrenia Fellowship NSW, Elena Katrakis CEO Carers NSW and John Malone, CEO Aftercare.  A person living with a mental illness and a carer from the Eastern Sydney Schizophrenia Fellowship support group will also speak about their personal stories on the evening.  The Black Dog Institute, ARAFMI and Carers NSW will also have information tables at the event.  Over 130 people have registered their attendance for the Forum which will be held during Local Government Week.

 

Action: For noting.

 

2.2    Therapeutic Gardening Workshop

Frida reported that the Therapeutic Gardening Workshop held in July was a great success with over thirty people participating in the local community event.  An additional workshop is planned to be held during Carers Week in October.

 

Action:  Frida to provide an update at the September meeting.

 

2.3    Twilight Concert Series

Frida tabled flyers for Una Bella Voce who will be performing on Friday 19 August from 7pm as part of the Twilight Concert series held at the Prince Henry Centre, 2 Coast Hospital Road, Little Bay.  Billee noted that the concert she attended featuring Una Bella Voce in May was excellent as was the venue.

 

Action:  For information.

 

2.4    Ignite Program of Talks

Ron reported that Bruce Dennett’s presentation on Understanding US Foreign Policy in July was outstanding, however the venue is unsuitable for the program and target group as the air conditioning unit does not work. Flyers were tabled for the next talk: Who are we? Australian national character which will also be presented by Bruce Dennett on Tuesday 23 August from 10am at Maroubra Senior Citizens Centre. Morning tea will be served.  Frida thanked Committee members for their feedback on the Ignite Program, which will be taken into consideration when planning the next series of talk for 2012.

 

Action:  Frida to provide update in regards to the air conditioning unit at the next meeting.

 

3. General Business

 

3.1  RCC Cultural Community Grants Program

The Committee was informed Council’s Cultural Grant Program provides funding support for local community groups and not for profit organisations who are involved in organising cultural events or creating community based projects that make Randwick a more vibrant place to live.  Applications for the second round of funding close Friday 19 August.  Frida tabled information kits and application forms at the meeting.

 

Action:  For noting.

 

3.2  Local Government Week

Frida tabled the flyer for Local Government Week at the meeting.  This year Local Government Week will be held from Monday 1 August – Sunday 7 August.  Special events will be held on each day showcasing the number of venues and facilities operated by Council and will also provide local residents a chance to meet with staff, interact through activities and gain information and experience about the day-to-day activities Council offers the community on an ongoing basis.

 

Action:  For noting.

 

3.3    Putting Mental Health on the Aged Care Agenda Forum

Frida reported that POW Aged Care Psychiatry Services will be hosting a forum to advocate for effective and equitable community service delivery for older people with mental illness apart from dementia.  The purpose of this forum is to raise awareness about the gaps in community services for older people with mental illness, and start a dialogue about proposed models of care that meet the specific

 

needs of this demographic.  The Forum will be held on Tuesday 23 August from 9.30am – 12.30pm at the Strangers Room, NSW Parliament, Macquarie Street, Sydney.  RSVP essential 9382 3756 or email

Daniella.Kanareck@sesiahs.health.nsw.gov.au.       

 

Action:  For information.

 

3.4    Access issues

George reported that Council’s waste contractors are not returning bins back to the kerbside once they have been emptied and that this has been happening for some time.  George also noted that residents are not making sure they leave a 30 centimetre gap between bins so they can be lifted, as outlined in the Mayor’s Column.

 

Action: Frida to liaise with Council’s Coordinator of Waste Management regarding this matter and provide an update at the September meeting.

 

Guest Speaker:  Steven Audet, Coordinator Engineering Services

Steven provided an update on Council’s Capitol works program including:

·     An upgrade of La Perouse loop, park, road works and coastal walkways.

·     Improved parking around the loop and playground.

·     Upgrade of playground at Bangor Park, Coogee.

·     Stairs installed at Coogee Life Saving Club to improve access.

·     Lift installed at South Maroubra Surf club to improve access for the mobility impaired.

·     2011/12 Concrete Footpath Program - renewal and or improvement of failed footpaths at Avoca Rd, Alison Rd, Anzac Parade, Dolphin St, Doncaster Rd, Clovelly Rd, Coogee Bay Rd, Cowper Street, Beach St, Gilder Thorpe Ave.

·     Council has met with STA to have localised widening of every bus stop.

·     Council aims to put a footpath on one side of each street as part of the Footpath Program.

·     Local Area Traffic Management scheme due to large amount of pedestrian incidents - traffic cushions installed on Arden St, Coogee to create a slower vehicle environment in that area.

·     Threshold treatments at the bottom of Alfreda St and the bottom of Vicar St Coogee, treatments at the entry into this area as well.

·     More works scheduled for the eastern side of Heffron Park upgrade, as part of the Heffron Park Master Plan including increased pedestrian and cycling linkages and disability parking. 

·     Increased car spaces at Fitzgerald Avenue and Jersey and Bunnerong Rds.

·     Bunnerong Rd upgrade commencing in three sections from Military Rds to the start of the loop at La Perouse.

·     Footpaths widened and improvement to bus stops in this area.

·     Pedestrian refuges added to existing pedestrian crossings.

·     Improvements for pedestrians - roundabouts installed at Little Bay Rd and at the Boat Shed to better accommodate buses. (Buses will no longer cross footpaths at the Tram shed).

 

Information Share

·     Billee reported that the PHHTNA are preparing for the Eat History Exhibition on Sunday 4 September which will showcase trends in cuisine and food preparation over decades in Australia. 

 

·     The WAVES Advisory Group are continuing to advocate to get the hydrotherapy pool at the old South Sydney Hospital replaced with a pool equal to, or better than the one at POW Hospital.

·     Jan reported that Barbara Kelly will be retiring as Manager of the Junction Neighbourhood Centre in August and they are in the process of recruiting a new manager.  JNC have also received new funding to establish a Randwick Hub (Neighbourhood Centre) at Shop 9/155 Avoca Street, Randwick which will open in September.  The Randwick Centre will provide a similar range of services as JNC Maroubra.

·     JNC have engaged Community Capacity Workers to work with CALD and Indigenous communities.  They also running an Domestic Violence Education and Awareness project and have received additional funding for two existing programs – VAST and Social Support (Aged and Disability). There has been an increase in clients for their Aged and Disability Program in the areas of respite and shopping services.

·     JNC have a new management structure, there will be a full-time Centre Manager and two Operations Managers.

·     Ron reported that he Randwick Botany Seniors are making arrangements to have Bruce Dennett speak at their next monthly Forum meeting.

·     Frida spoke about the launch of the 2011 Garden and Sports Award. Application and nomination forms were tabled at the meeting and can also be down loaded from the “What’s-On” web page as well as from the Awards Section on the web page.

 

Correspondence

·     CPSA THE Voice Newsletter, August 2011

·     The Junction News, Winter edition 2011

·     The Little Bay Coast Centre for Seniors Newsletter

 

Date of Next Meeting:  Wednesday 7 September 2011.


Aboriginal Advisory Committee 30 June 2011 (endorsed September 2011)

Attachment 3

 

 

 

MINUTES

Randwick City Council Aboriginal Advisory Committee

 Meeting - 10.00am, 30 June 2011 

Yarra Bay House, La Perouse

 

Present:

Karen Cooley – Guriwal Aboriginal Corporation
Gary Ella – Randwick City Council (Chair & Minutes)

Roslyn Field – La Perouse Local Aboriginal Land Council

Barbara Keeley - Guriwal Respite & Transport

Yvonne Simms – La Perouse Botany Bay Aboriginal Corporation

Liz Sinnott – La Perouse Public School

 

 

   Guest:          

 

 
Apologies:          Cr Margaret Woodsmith – Randwick City Council

                       Cr Paul Tracey – Randwick City Council

Carrine Liddell – Lapa Youth Haven

Tracey Cooley – Break Through

Michael Ingrey– Lapa Youth Haven

Gail Cooke – Guriwal Aboriginal Corporation

 

Acknowledgement of Country:     Conducted by Roslyn Field

 

1.      Confirmation of Minutes

 

The minutes of the meeting held on 29 April 2011 were endorsed

 

Proposed: Liz Sinnott              Seconded: Roslyn Field

 

 

2.      Business arising from previous minutes

 

          2.1    Reconciliation Australia:

 

Reconciliation Australia has recently gone through a re-structure and was not yet in a position to nominate an officer to specifically deal with local governments. Committee members stated the importance of community consultation before Reconciliation Action Plans are finalised. Community consultation needed to include the Aboriginal Advisory Committee, membership of the La Perouse Aboriginal Community Alliance and membership of the La Perouse LALC.  

 

Action: Gary Ella to invite Reconciliation Australia to attend a future meeting.

 

          2.2    Queen Emma’s grave marking:

           

       Yvonne Simms had spoken with family members on appropriate markings for Queen Emma’s grave site at Botany Cemetery and would organise a meeting with the Cemetery Trust to sort out the ownership of the grave.

 

Action: Yvonne Simms to provide a progress report regarding ownership of the grave at the next meeting.

 

2.3    Queen Emma Timbery Public Art Proposal:

 

Artwork for the Queen Emma project has been completed and delivered to Yarra Bay House. It is planned to exhibit during NAIDOC Week and then its permanent housing will be identified, possibly at Council’s Administration Building, Bowen Library or the Prince Henry Centre.

 

Action:  Gary Ella to keep the Committee up to date with the progress of this project.

 

 

          2.4    Naming Points and La Perouse Suburb Sign :     

 

Council has been awaiting advice from the La Perouse LALC’s Cultural Heritage sub-committee on 5 family names to be used to name 5 geographical points in the La Perouse area.  Yvonne Simms was concerned about where the 5 points were and how the 5 families would be chosen and if there were already families being considered. Gary Ella mentioned that this issue has been on the Advisory Committee’s agenda for some time and would investigate the history leading to Council’s request for advice from the Land Council and report at the next meeting.

 

Action:  Gary Ella to investigate history and process to the 5 Points and report back at the next meeting.

 

2.5      Installation of Flag Poles at Yarra Recreational Reserve and the Prince Henry Centre:

 

            At the meeting 29 April 2011 the Committee passed the following resolution: ‘The    Randwick City Council Aboriginal Advisory Committee strongly recommends to        Randwick City Council that 3 flagpoles be           installed at Yarra Recreational Reserve,       Prince Henry Centre and Bicentennial Park.’ 3 poles would allow the Australian,   Aboriginal and Torres Strait islander flags to be flown together at appropriate times.

 

Action:   Gary Ella to prepare a report for Council to consider the installation of flag poles at Prince Henry Centre, Yarra Recreational Reserve and Bicentennial Park.

 

2.6      Heritage Issues:

 

            Gary had spoken with Council’s Heritage Officer and one of Bowen Library’s staff     members in regards to archiving old photos of La        Perouse held by the La Perouse Public   Primary School. The Bowen Library agreed to assist with the process.

 

          Council’s Heritage Officer reported through Gary Ella that a Council report would be tabled at the next Council meeting with a recommendation to have the mural on Belmore Road refreshed.     

 

Action: Gary Ella to speak with Bowen Library staff and about photos and records from the school could be preserved. Gary Ella to keep members informed with progress on both projects.

 

2.7      Memorial to Stolen Generations from La Perouse:

 

29 July was agreed upon as a possible date for Cr Woodsmith, Gary Ella, Barbara Keeley and Yvonne Simms to visit the Bomaderry memorial site established by the Shoalhaven Council at the Bomaderry Children’s Home.   

 

Action:  Sub-committee including Yvonne Simms, Barbara Keeley, Cr Margaret Woodsmith and Gary Ella to visit Bomaderry site on 29 July and investigate funding sources and support for a similar project in Randwick City.

 

            2.8 Frenchmans Bay Beach Sand Dunes:

 

Gary Ella presented a copy of a Council report on the Frenchmans Bay sand dune that includes the reasoning and methodology for the vegetation on the dune. Members reiterated that anti-social behaviour was still being conducted in the fenced off areas of the dune.

 

Action:  Barbara Keeley to examine documents and report back to Committee.

2.9      Frenchmans Bay Reserve / 2.10   Upgrade of Guriwal Bush Tucker Track:

 

            David Kelly, Council’s Administration Manager and Gary Ella met with Guriwal’s Manager     – Karen Cooley at Yarra Bay House to discuss facilities needed along the        Frenchmans Bay walk and the Guriwal Bush Tucker Track. Insurance issues were also      discussed for the Bush Tucker Track.  David was preparing a report to take to the   General Manager but still wanted to hold a formal meeting with Guriwal     management to discuss issues in greater detail.

 

Action: Gary Ella to organise meeting between Council and Guriwal management.

 

3.      New Business

 

3.1 Yarra Recreational Reserve:

 

Minor concern that soap and paper dispensers were removed during the work and not replaced has now been revolved.

Action: Gary Ella to look into the provision of a shaded area with Open Space Services.

 

3.2 Randwick City banners:

 

Committee strongly supported the Randwick City Council proposal to fly Aboriginal designed banners around the City on appropriate occasions and suggested that a competition be held to identify appropriate designs.

 

Action: Gary Ella to discuss this issue with Council’s Communication Unit.

 

3.3 SAVE Update:

 

          The Bicycle recycling project was approved in principle by the SAVE Working Group but      a site still needed to be approved. Roslyn Field and Karen Cooley indicated that both        the Land Council and Guriwal supported the concept and would make space available if       necessary at Yarra Bay House.

 

        Action: Gary Ella to organise site visit by Council’s Sustainability manager and SAVE Project Officer

 

3.4      Outdoor Sails at Randwick TAFE:

 

Council provided transportation of spare outdoor sails given to the La Perouse community from Randwick TAFE to Yarra Bay House. Community now needs to organise for the shades to be erected.

 

3.5 Bunnerong Road Upgrade

 

          Members were pleased that the Bunnerong Road upgrade had commenced but were   concerned that the walking space along the road has narrowed significantly, and may    put La Perouse Primary School pupils at risk when walking to school from Little Bay and    Chifley.

 

          Members were also concerned about the lack of space on Yarra Road on church days and when sporting events were being held at Yarra Recreational Reserve.

 

        Action: Gary Ella to alert City Services of Committee’s concerns.                   

         

Next Meeting:  27 August 2011