Community Services Committee

 

  BUSINESS PAPER

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tuesday 12 October 2010

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Administrative Centre 30 Frances Street Randwick 2031

Telephone: 02 9399 0999 or

1300 722 542 (for Sydney metropolitan area)

Fax:02 9319 1510

general.manager@randwick.nsw.gov.au

www.randwick.nsw.gov.au


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Community Services Committee

12 October 2010

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Community Services Committee

 

Notice is hereby given that a Community Services Committee of the Council of the City of Randwick will be held in the Council Chamber, Town Hall, 90 Avoca Street, Randwick, on Tuesday, 12 October 2010 at 6:00pm.

 

Committee Members:           The Mayor (M Matson), Andrews, Belleli, Bowen, Hughes, Matthews, Nash, Notley-Smith, Procopiadis, Seng, Smith, Stevenson, Tracey (Deputy Chairperson), White and Woodsmith (Chairperson)

 

Quorum:                           Eight (8) members

 

NOTE:    At the Extraordinary Meeting held on 28 September 2004, the Council resolved that the Community Services Committee be constituted as a committee with full delegation to determine matters on the agenda.

 

Apologies/Granting of Leave of Absences 

 

Confirmation of the Minutes  

Community Services Committee - 14 September 2010

 

Declarations of Pecuniary and Non-Pecuniary Interests

 

Address of Committee by Members of the Public

 

Urgent Business

 

Community Services Report

C16/10      Council's Advisory Committee Minutes

 

Library Reports

Nil   

 

Notice of Rescission Motions

Nil 

 

 

…………………………………………………….

Ray Brownlee

General Manager


Community Services Committee

12 October 2010

 

 

 

Community Services Report No. C16/10

 

 

Subject:                  Council's Advisory Committee Minutes

Folder No:                   F2006/00216

Author:                   Shane Lowe, Coordinator Community Planning & Partnerships     

 

Introduction

 

At the 10 March 2009 Community Services Committee it was resolved that the minutes of the Advisory Committees be presented to the Community Services Committee.

 

Issues

 

As scheduled, the Advisory Committee (listed below) has met and the minutes of the meeting, which reflect discussions and outcomes, are attached.

 

The minutes will also be available on Council’s website after each meeting.

 

This report includes minutes from:

 

·           Aboriginal Advisory Committee – July 2010

·           Access Advisory Committee  -  July and August 2010

·           Older Persons Advisory Committee – August 2010.

 

Relationship to City Plan

 

The relationship with the City Plan is as follows:

 

Outcome:  An Informed and Engaged Community.

Direction:  Effective communication methods and technology are used to share                        information and provide services.

 

Financial impact statement

 

There is no direct financial impact for this matter.

 

Conclusion

 

It is recommended that Council acknowledges and accepts the minutes of the attached Advisory Committees.

 

Recommendation

 

That Council acknowledges and accepts the minutes of the following Advisory Committee meetings:

 

·           Aboriginal Advisory Committee – July 2010

·           Access Advisory Committee  -  July and August 2010

·           Older Persons Advisory Committee – August 2010

 

 

 

 

Attachment/s:

 

1.View

Aboriginal Advisory Committee - July 2010

 

2.View

Access Advisory Committee - July

 

3.View

Access Advisory Committee - August 2010

 

4.View

Older Persons Advisory Committee - August 2010

 

 

 

 


Aboriginal Advisory Committee - July 2010

Attachment 1

 

 

 

 

 

 
MINUTES

Randwick City Council Aboriginal Advisory Committee

Meeting held on 14 July 2010 at Yarra Bay House

La Perouse

 

Present:   

 

Cr Margaret Woodsmith – Chairperson, Randwick City Council

Gail Cooke – Secretary - Guriwal Aboriginal Corporation

Tracey Cooley – Break Through

Roslyn Field – CEO- La Perouse Local Aboriginal Land Council

Barbara Keeley - Guriwal Respite & Transport

Michael Ingrey – Lapa Youth Haven

Gary Ella – Randwick City Council (minutes)

Yvonne Simms – La Perouse / Botany Bay Aboriginal Corporation

 

Guests:            Ray Ingrey

                       Norma Simms

 

Apologies:          Liz Sinnott – Principal – La Perouse Public School

Carrine Liddell – Lapa Youth Haven

Karen Cooley – Manager – Guriwal Aboriginal Corporation

              

Welcome:                    Conducted by Barbara Keeley, with condolences on behalf of Committee to aggrieved Ingrey, Simms and Trindall families of La Perouse community.

 

1. Confirmation of Minutes

 

The minutes of the meeting held on 12 May ’10 were confirmed.

Proposed: Barbara Keeley   Seconded:  Roslyn Field

 

2. Business arising from previous minutes 12 May 2010

 

2.1      Queen Emma’s grave marking:

 

Gary Ella reported that the visit to Queen Emma’s grave had not taken place yet. Yvonne Simms stated that she had located the site and invited Cr Woodsmith and Gary to visit after the meeting. Any discussion on work at the grave site would need to first be discussed with Queen Emma’s descendants / family.

 

Action:   Cr Woodsmith, Gary Ella and Yvonne Simms to visit site and initiate discussions on possible works with appropriate family members.

 

2.2      Queen Emma Timbery Public Art Proposal:

 

The Committee was advised that Council has applied for funding through Arts Australia. The La Perouse LALC had written a letter of support for this project to Council. The cultural heritage sub-committee of the Land Council requested that they be consulted before any decision is made on a permanent home for the artwork. Gary Ella has been in contact with Laddie Timbery to keep him informed on the progress of this project. Barbara Keeley and Yvonne Simms requested that Laddie discuss the project with the Timbery / Simms families prior to the commencement of works. 

 

Action:   Gary Ella to keep Laddie Timbery up to date with the progress of the funding application and to request that he discuss the project with the Timbery / Simms families of La Perouse.

 

2.3      Rubbish Bins at the ends of the Bush Tucker Track:

 

Although Council has installed a rubbish bin at the Yarra Bay end of the Bush Tucker Track litter is still an issue. A rubbish bin on the Frenchmans Bay side of the Track was unlikely as collections would be difficult for Council. Dog litter is also becoming a problem as more people are using the walk between Frenchmans Bay and Yarra Bay.  Dogs on the track are often unleashed.   Committee members would like to see more Council Ranger patrols and suggested that Council consider employing an Aboriginal in a Ranger position to work in the area.

         

Action:  

A) Gary Ella will seek advice from City Services to check with Council to find out if Dog Litter bag dispensers could be installed at the ends of the Track and at Yarra Recreational Reserve.

B) The Committee recommends that ‘No Littering’ signs (possibly with Aboriginal designs) be erected in the area.

C) Frequently of Council Ranger patrols increased.

D) The Committee also recommended that Council consider designating a Ranger position for an Aboriginal person to work in the area.

 

 

2.4      Installation of Bollards on Frenchmans Bay end of the Bush Tucker

            Track:

 

Council has installed bollards on the Frenchmans Bay end of the Track but motor bikes are still using the Track and causing damage. Unfortunately, to make it difficult for motor bike riders to use the Track would affect disabled users in wheelchairs and parents pushing prams. Increasing the number of Council patrols of the area and community members alerting the police when motor bikes were on the Track were suggestions made by the Committee.

 

Action:     Gary Ella to discuss issue of motor bike problems with Police Aboriginal Community Liaison Officer and raise the issue at the next LACACC meeting.

 

 

 

 
2.5     Resident Parking at La Perouse Reserve and speed humps:

 

Cr Woodsmith advised that Council’s Traffic Committee was still considering the proposal to install restricted parking zones within the La Perouse Reserve residential area and the installation of speed humps on Murrong and Goolagong Places. The La Perouse LALC will write to Council supporting the restricted parking zones and speed humps proposal. Other community organisations would be encouraged to follow the Land Council’s lead.

 

The traffic issues associated of the annual Greek Festival at La Perouse was discussed at the meeting. The Committee was advised that issues in regards to traffic flow; speeding and illegal parking was a Police issue and would be raised at the next LACACC meeting.  

 

Action:   A) Committee members will be kept up to date regarding restricted parking and speed humps.

              B) Gary Ella will raise the traffic issues of the Greek Festival at the next LACACC meeting. 

 

2.6      Naming of Points / Reserves:

 

This issue is with the La Perouse LALC’s cultural heritage sub-committee.

 

Action:   Roslyn Field to advise Council on agreed names.

 

2.7      La Perouse Suburb Sign:

 

There has been no formal action on this issue since the last meeting but Cr Woodsmith stated that Council would welcome a submission from the Committee. The submission needs to include the possible designs and information on the language group used for wording of the sign.

 

Action:      

A) The La Peruse LALC will provide a submission to Council regarding the dual name suburb sign for La Perouse. Committee members will provide advice, possibly through La Perouse LALC cultural heritage sub-committee.

 

 

 

 
2.8      Installation of Flag Poles and Protocols:

 

Action:        Gary Ella will investigate possibility of installing flag poles at Prince Henry Community Centre and Yarra Recreational Reserve. Council will take advice on special days to the Aboriginal community by lowering flags as appropriate.

 

2.8      Guriwal Bush Tucker Track – MOU:

 

The Committee was advised that Council had agreed to enter into a MOU with Guriwal Aboriginal Corporation on the management of the Bush Tucker Track. Part of the agreement would be for Guriwal to provide Council with a business plan and to keep a record of all groups wishing to use the Track.  

 

 Action:    Gary will follow up on Council’s formal reply to Guriwal’s request for a MOU.

 

2.9      Cultural Awareness Training:

 

Cultural Awareness training is already part of Council’s formal training packages.

 

Action:    Gary Ella was asked to provide information on the content of the training and deliver method at the next meeting of the Advisory Committee.

 

2.10    Men’s Group Area:

 

Michael Ingrey reported that the Men’s Group Area was dedicated to Chicka Dixon at the Launch of NAIDOC Week.

 

2.11    DECCW Consultation Guidelines

 

Gary Ella tabled the new DECCW guidelines.

 

2.12    Mural on Belmore Road

 

Gary Ella tabled photos of the Mural on Belmore Road. The mural was originally painted by the LA Loop Mural Group with support from the Randwick Municipal Council, Community Arts Board and A.H. Taylor Nationwide Realty.  Its age is unknown but it contains a portrait of Auntie Ollie Simms, an elder from La Perouse. Investigations into the proposal to restore the mural continue.

 

Action:    Gary Ella will seek information from Council’s Heritage Planner and provide an update at the next meeting.

 

3.         New Business

 

3.1     2010 NAIDOC Week Celebrations:

 

Cr Woodsmith and Gary Ella congratulated the 2010 NAIDOC Committee on a successful and enjoyable week. Early plans for 2011 NAIDOC celebrations includes the Family Fun Day and a Community Dinner / Dance at the Prince Henry Community Centre. Dates need to be finalised later in the year as the Aboriginal Medical Service is celebrating its 40th birthday and plans a major event during NAIDOC week and the national focus for 2011 NAIDOC will be on Sydney. It is expected that there will be a major formal function held in Sydney.

 

Action: Gary Ella to tentatively book the Prince Henry Community Centre for the Friday night of the 2011 NAIDOC Week.

 

3.2      Nude Bathing on Frenchmans Bay Beach:

 

Community members advised that there have been an increase in the  number of nude bathers regularly using Frenchmans Bay Beach, both male and female. There has also been reports form community members that there has been some inappropriate behaviour occurring on and around the beach. The existing fencing around the regenerated bush area is in need of repairs and maintenance. Committee members are concerned that young people from the community will accidentally witness this behaviour.       

 

Action: Gary Ella to raise this issue with Police at the next LACACC meeting on 2 August.

Reports if inappropriate behaviour must be reported to the Police immediately

 

3.3      Deadly Tots – No Gammin Project:

 

Gary Ella informed the meeting that the Department of Community Services was funding the Deadly Tots – No Gammin project.  The project’s objective is to assess the needs of Aboriginal infants and children. The Karitane group will be meeting with Aboriginal community organisations and individuals to discuss issues related early childhood to school age children. More information will be forwarded to members when received by Council.

4.        General Business

 

4.1    Pauline McLeod Awards for Reconciliation:     

 

Barbara Keeley wanted to record her disappointment that no local Aboriginal community member was presented with a Pauline McLeod Award for Reconciliation at the launch of NAIDOC Week, Yarra Bay House. She also expressed her disappointment that the Awards were not named in honour of a local Aboriginal elder.  It was explained at the meeting that the Awards were not exclusively for Aboriginal people and that anyone who had worked towards a Reconciled Australia was eligible to be nominated. The Awards had been running for 9 years and were presented by the Eastern Region Local Government Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Forum and named after Pauline McLeod due to her outstanding work locally. 

 

Nominations for the Awards are encouraged from the La Perouse community and the local NAIDOC committee would again be presenting their own Community Service Awards during NAIDOC.

 

      Reconciliation Action Plan:

 

There was a discussion on the definition of Reconciliation and actions that community members needed to take to promote the Reconciliation process. Gary Ella will provide the next meeting with examples of Reconciliation Action Plans for the Committee’s information.

 

      Flowers:

 

The Committee requested that Council send flowers on behalf of the Council and the Committee to the Ingrey and Simms families, who lost family members in the previous week. Cr Woodsmith agreed that it would be appropriate for Council to send flowers on this occasion.

 

 

 

 
 Action: Gary Ella to recommend to Council that flowers are sent from the Mayor on behalf of Council.

 

 

Close Meeting: 12.00noon

 

            Cr Woodsmith, Gary Ella and Yvonne Simms then visited the grave site of Queen Emma at Botany Cemetery.

 

Next Meeting: 1 September 2010 

 

 


Access Advisory Committee - July

Attachment 2

 

 

MINUTES

Randwick City Council Access Advisory Committee

Meeting held on Thursday 8 July, 11am at the

Randwick Room.

 

Present

Cr. Margaret Woodsmith      Randwick City Council

Frida Kitas                        Randwick City Council

Chris Donnellan                  Randwick City Council

Tess Protey                      Junction House

Scott Birdsell                     Headeast

Andrew Blair                      Community Representative

Jessica Blair                      Community Representative

Terry Fletcher                   Community Representative

 

Apologies

Vince Bates                      Headeast

Melinda Ross                     Sunnyfield

Dianne Thian                     Community Representative

Anne Patterson                  Community Representative

Phillip Sundstrom        Community Representative

 

Introductions

The Committee issued a warm welcome to Scott Birdsell who is representing Headeast at the meeting.

 

1.      Minutes

 

The Minutes of the meeting held on Thursday 10 June were confirmed.

 

2.      Business Arising from Previous Minutes

 

2.1    JNC Automated Sliding Doors

Chris reported that he inspected the automated sliding doors at the Junction Neighbourhood Centre at Maroubra, as requested by the Committee.  The button to activate the automated doors is situated 1.5m from ground level which does not meet the standards - however the sensor directly above the button actives the sliding doors, hence no further action is required.

 

Action:  For noting.

 

2.2    RTA Traffic Signal Boxes

Frida reported that clients from Headeast (Eastern Sydney Acquired Brain Injury Community Access Service) will be participating in Council’s RTA Traffic Signal Boxes project.  Scott Birdsell spoke about how clients from Headeast are hoping to incorporate text in relation to statistics on acquired brain injuries in their signal box design with the aim of raising awareness about brain injuries in relation to road and traffic accidents.  Frida also mentioned that The Junction Neighbourhood Centre at Maroubra have also expressed an interest in becoming involved with this project.  Frida will continue to liaise with Barbara Kelly, coordinator of JNC in regards to this project.

 

Action:  Frida to continue to liaise with Barbara Kelly in regards to the Traffic Signal Boxes project.

 

2.3    Access Issues from previous meeting

Cr. Woodsmith reported that the proposed lift to access the 2nd floor of the Duke of Gloucester Hotel, Randwick will be situated externally to the hotel, due to structural issues within the building.  Chris reported that he inspected the ramp adjoining the southern part of South Maroubra Lifesaving Club and identified a gap of approximately 10m between the existing concrete path (coming from the park), and the tiled path going down to the beach.  Chris suggested that City Services inspect the site and consider constructing a concrete path between the concrete path and the tiled path.

 

In addition, the inspection revealed that the disability parking spaces are located in the main club car park which is approximately 100m from the access ramp adjoining the southern side of the surf club.  Chris suggested that the disability parking spaces are relocated to the section of the park adjoining the ramps at the southern side of the surf club.  Frida also mentioned that Tony Lehamann will be attending the Older Persons Advisory Committee meeting in August to provide an update on the access issues raised from both Committees from previous meetings. 

 

Action: Frida to liaise with City Services in relation to the request for the construction of concrete path and relocation of the disability parking spaces at South Maroubra Surf Lifesaving Club and provide an update at the August meeting.

 

2.4      Pedestrian Access and Mobility Plan (PAMP) Study

The Committee was informed that Council held a joint workshop on the Pedestrian and Mobility Plan (PAMP) with representatives from the Kensington Precinct sub-committee and the Older Persons and Access Advisory Committee on Tuesday 22 June 2010.  A total of 91 submissions were received in response to Council’s online survey.  A series of recommendations from the PAMP process will form a draft proposal that will be placed on public exhibition and advertised via the Mayors Column.  The joint meeting also helped to identify a number of pedestrian issues and a work program for Council to consider over the next 10 years.  A footpath audit of all the high priority areas was also identified from the meeting and Council is planning to undertake Pedestrian and mobility plans of all wards in Randwick City.

 

Action:  For Information.

 

3       New Business

 

3.1      Kerb Ramps

Jessica reported that Council has recently upgraded the footpaths on Beauchamp Road and Portland Crescent, Maroubra but have left the lips on the kerb ramps on the corner of Portland and Chicago Avenue and Chicago Avenue and Beauchamp Road.  The Committee requested that the ramps be rectified to enhance access for all members of the community.  Frida also reported that the Committee’s request for kerb ramps on the corner of Frances and Cook streets, Randwick (on the south-west corner) has been incorporated into City Services Capitol works program for 09/10.  The kerb ramp on the north-west corner of Cowper and Church streets, Randwick cannot be rectified due to the placement of the surrounding service pit.

 

Action: Frida to forward request to City Services to rectify the kerb ramps at Maroubra.

 

4          Information Share

-   Tess reported that Junction House have received requests from residents in group homes in the Botany area who want to join as members.  As a result Junction House will be commencing a music class on Saturday’s from mid-August as a pilot project for 6 months.

-   Scott reported that Headeast will be holding a photographic exhibition during Brain Injury Awareness Week from August 16-22 at the Prince Henry Centre, Little Bay.

-   Terry reported that the disability parking spaces on Carr and Byron streets have greatly improved access to the Coogee Diggers and thanked Tony Lehmann for his assistance with this matter.

 

5       Correspondence

-   Headeast News, Issue 44, Winter 2010

-   Miroma Rythems, Issue 3 Winter 2010

-   Accord Winter Edition 2010

-   IDEAS NSW e-News, Issue 5, 2010

-   PWD E-Bulletin, June 2010

 

6       Date of Next Meeting:

To be held on Thursday 12 August from 10am to 11.30am, Randwick Room.

 

 


Access Advisory Committee - August 2010

Attachment 3

 

 

MINUTES

Randwick City Council Access Advisory Committee

Meeting held on Thursday 12 August, 11am at the

Randwick Room.

 

Present

Cr. Margaret Woodsmith              Randwick City Council

Frida Kitas                                Randwick City Council

Chris Donnellan                          Randwick City Council

Tess Protey                              Junction House

Vince Bates                              Headeast

Andrew Blair                             Community Representative

Phillip Sundstrom                Community Representative

 

Apologies

Melinda Ross                             Sunnyfield

Terry Fletcher                           Community Representative

Dianne Thian                             Community Representative

Jessica Blair                              Community Representative

Anne Patterson                          Community Representative

 

1.      Minutes

 

The Minutes of the meeting held on Thursday 8 July were confirmed.

 

2.      Business Arising from Previous Minutes

 

2.1    Access issues from previous meeting

The Committee was informed the lips on the kerb ramps on Beauchamp road and Portland crescent, Maroubra and on the corner of Portland and Chicago Avenue and Chicago Avenue and Beauchamp Road will be reconstructed at the end of the financial year.  In addition, the gap in the beach access track at South Maroubra Lifesaving Club will be resolved when the coastal walkway design is undertaken at this location.  Council is currently in negotiations with South Maroubra Surf Club in regards to the location of the walkway.  The proposed areas for the disability parking zone will not be accessible to members of the public in the near future as there are plans to install a boom gate at both ends of the parking bays to reserve these areas for members of the surf club and lifesavers. 

 

The Committee was also advised that the Development Consent for the floodlights at Bardon Park, Coogee allow for illumination of the park only for sport on Tuesdays and Thursdays until 8pm.  This approval is conditional on the use to be from under 6 to under 12 years of age only – consequently the Committees request for additional illumination cannot be accommodated.

 

Action:  For noting.

 

2.2    RCC Community Nursery

Frida reported that the toilet facility at Council’s Community Nursery has been upgraded and is now wheelchair accessible for members of the public and staff. 

 

Action:  For noting.

 

 

 

3       New Business

 

3.1      Carers Week (17-23 October)

The Committee was informed that Council in partnership with the Prince Henry Hospital Trained Nurses Association will be hosting an Open Day at the Nursing and Medical Museum, Little bay to Celebrate National Carers Week.  The event will be held on Saturday 9 October from 10am to 4pm and will be an opportunity for participants to find out more about their local history and browse around the museum.  In addition a sausage sizzle will be organised by the girl guides, face painting and mini massages will also be available on the day.  Bookings are not required and a gold coin donation is optional.  Frida also reported that she has assisted a number of organisations with grant applications to SESIAHS to obtain funding for various Carers Week projects.

 

Action: Frida to table flyers/posters for the Prince Henry Open Day at the October meeting.

 

3.2      NRMA Road Safety Presentation

The Committee was informed that Council in conjunction with the NRMA will be a delivering a road safety presentation for Seniors at Bowen  Library and Community Centre on Thursday 2 September from 11am to 1pm.  The presentation will cover changes to legislation, safe driving tips, road rules, vehicle safety, pedestrian safety, physical fitness and mobility alternatives.  Bookings are required and lunch will be provided.  Frida tabled flyers and posters at the meeting.

 

Action:  For noting

 

3.3      The House with No Steps Initiative

Frida reported that Council’s Community Partnerships and Program Department will be purchasing biscuits for all future meetings from the House with No Steps.  Aussie Biscuits are made by people with a disability from the local area, who would otherwise have found it difficult to find gainful employment as valuable members of our community.  The Committee agreed that purchasing biscuits from the House with No Steps demonstrates Council’s commitment to supporting people with disabilities.  Interested persons interested in ordering biscuits for their organisation can call The House with No Steps on 02 6852 2399 for further information.

 

Action:  For noting

 

3.4      Mental Health Week (10 – 16 October)

The Committee was informed that Council will hold a therapeutic gardening workshop in conjunction with Cultivate NSW to celebrate Mental Health Week.  The workshop will be held on Saturday 16 October at Council’s Community Nursery from 11am to 3pm.  Bookings are required and lunch will be provided.  The workshop aims to improve health and wellbeing and will cover a range of gardening tips and techniques to enable people with mobility issues to continue to be involved in gardening at home and in the community.

 

Action:  Frida to table flyers and posters for the workshop at the September meeting.

 


5. Melane Rebane, Community Safety Coordinator, Aged & Disability Services, NSW Fire Brigades

·         Melanie is based at Greenacre, her position as a Community Safety Coordinator Aged & Disability is state wide.

·         Melanie’s role focuses on the fire safety needs of vulnerable target groups such as the elderly and people with disabilities and increasing awareness about fire safety in the home to the broader community.

·         According to Fire Brigade statistics, more than half of all house fires start in the kitchen.

·         In 2010 there were over 650 house fires in NSW, with 13 fatalities.

·         In 2009, there were 7 fatalities which is nearly a 100% increase.

·         People aged 60 and over are at major risk in house fires and people with disabilities represent 10% of all fatalities over the past five years.

·         Melanie spoke about the importance of a working smoke alarm, together with a home escape plan to increase the chances of not being harmed in a home fire.

·         The NSW Fire Brigade Services website has a special needs fire safety resource section, which covers issues such as hoarding and ways in which the Fire Brigade provides enhanced services in response to squalor and hoarding.

·         Melanie also spoke about SABRE – Smoke Alarm Battery Replacement program for the Elderly. 

·         The SABRE program is designed to support the elderly residing in their homes and that have limited domestic support to live independently in their homes.

·         NSW Fire Brigades have developed a central data base with details of 120 vulnerable residents in NSW – the Fire Brigade then arranges for the batteries to be replaced for those residents on an annual basis.

·         Smoke Alarms for the Deaf and Hearing Impaired – these alarms have a flashing strobe light and vibrating pad that are placed under the pillow which activate when the smoke alarm sounds.

·         Melanie also visits group homes to assist organisations to conduct safety audits and basic fire safety training for staff.

·         The Fire Brigades have partnered with insurers GIO to launch a website www.homefiresafetyaudit.com.au to help people learn how to improve fire safety in the home.

·         To arrange for Melanie to visit your organisation or group home contact (02) 9742 7404 or email melanie.rebane@fire.nsw.gov.au.

·         Frida thanked Melanie for attending the Access Advisory Committee meeting as a guest speaker.

 

4       Information Share

·         Vince reported that Headeast will be presenting “Our View” Photography Exhibition from 16th – 20th August at the Prince Henry Centre to highlight Brain Injury Awareness Week.  Over 30 images created by clients will be displayed in the foyer.

·         Vince also reported that he has been attending a complex needs network which is convened by Kim Meadows at the Junction Neighbourhood Centre.  The network aims to assist homeless people and clients who are experiencing difficulties with the Department of Housing and with other agencies.

·         Frida reported that she attended the Ability Awareness Option Launch on the 2nd August at ANZ Stadium to celebrate Ability Awareness Week.  The Launch was an initiative of Ability Options and aims to create an equal playing field for people of all abilities in NSW.

 

5       Correspondence

-   IDEAS NSW e-News, Issue 7, 2010

-   Eastern Sydney Disability Interagency June 2010 minutes.

 

6       Date of Next Meeting:

To be held on Thursday 9 September from 10am to 11.30am, Randwick Room.

 


Older Persons Advisory Committee - August 2010

Attachment 4

 

 

MINUTES

Randwick City Council

Older Persons Reference Group

Meeting held on Wednesday 4 August 2010

 

 

Present

Cr. Margaret Woodsmith      Randwick City Council

Frida Kitas                        Randwick City Council

Billee King                         Community Representative

Susan McCann                   Division of General Practice

Shirley Smith                     Computer Pals

Alison Heuschkel                Prince of Wales Community Health

Simon Bennetts                 South East Neighbourhood Centre

Anna Lipoma                     Sydney Multicultural Community Services

Ron Wood                         National Seniors – Randwick Botany Branch

Mike Cornell                      National Seniors – Randwick Botany Branch

 

Apologies

Marlene Kerr                      Coast Centre for Seniors

George Gergely                  Community Representative

Megan Bowyer                   Junction Neighbourhood Centre

Keith Francis                     Community Representative

Sharon Blunt                     Randwick/Waverley Community Transport

 

 

1. Minutes

The minutes of the meetings held on July were confirmed.

 

2. Business Arising from Minutes

 

2.1      Access issues from previous meetings

Frida reported that the access issues previously raised by members of the Older Persons and Access Advisory Committees were forwarded to Tony Lehmann, Manager Integrated Transport for consideration.  Mr Lehmann has since advised that Dilruba Akhter, Transport Engineer, City Services will respond to the issues at today’s meeting. 

 

Action: For consideration.

 

3   General Business

 

3.1      Road Safety for Seniors NRMA Presentation

The Committee was informed that Council in partnership with the NRMA will be delivering a road safety presentation for Seniors at Bowen Library and Community Centre on Thursday 2 September from 11am to 1pm.  The presentation will cover changes to legislation, safe driving tips, road rules, vehicle safety, pedestrian safety, physical fitness and mobility alternatives.  Bookings are required and lunch will be provided.  Flyers and posters were tabled at the meeting.

 

Action:  For Information

 

3.2      National Carers Week (17-23 October 2010)

The Committee was informed that Council in partnership with the Prince Henry Hospital Trained Nurses Association will be hosting an Open Day at the Nursing and Medical Museum, Little Bay to celebrate National Carers Week.  This local community event will be held on Saturday 9 October from 10am to 4pm. In addition a sausage sizzle will be organised by the girl guides, face painting and mini massages will also be available on the day.  Participants will be able to find out more about their local history and browse around the museum.  Bookings are not required and a gold coin donation is optional.  Frida also reported that she has assisted a number of organisations to submit grants applications to SESIAHS to obtain funding for various Carers Week projects. 

 

Action:  Frida to circulate flyers/posters for the Open Day at the Nursing & Medical Museum at the September meeting.

 

3.3      2010-11 ADHC Positive Ageing Grants

The Committee was informed that Council has applied for funding from Ageing, Disability and Home Care (ADHC), to continue to run a series of healthy living workshops for older people, carers and people with disabilities from non-English speaking backgrounds living in Randwick City and surrounding areas.  The workshop sessions will be delivered in partnership Eastern Sydney Multicultural Access Project (ESMAP) and a range of local community service providers and health educators, including Community Health and Multicultural Health Services. In the event Council secures funding for the project the proposed workshop sessions will be held from January to September 2011.

 

Action:  Frida to provide an update at future meetings in regards to the Positive Ageing grant submission to ADHC.

 

3.4      Positive Ageing Public Health Forum

The Committee was informed that the Aged Care Psychiatry Unit at Prince of Wales will be holding their annual public health forum on Monday 8 November from 10am to 1pm at South Sydney Juniors Auditorium.  This year the theme is “Positive Ageing: A Good News Story” with the aim of educating, informing and entertaining the public on how and why they can age well.  The forum will also include a panel of community representatives to discuss different aspects of ageing well in today’s society.  Billee King will be a guest speaker at the forum and Frida will provide a range of information about existing services, social support and health programs available in Eastern Sydney.

 

Action:  Frida to circulate flyers for the forum at a later date.

 

3.5      Mobility Scooter Injuries Booklet

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) is seeking to both raise awareness of safety concerns and to better understand the cause of mobility scooter related accidents, so that action can be taken to minimise harm while enabling users to continue to enjoy the benefits of mobility scooter use.  Frida tabled copies of the booklet at the meeting and advised that Seniors groups and organisations can order copies from the multimedia section at www.productssafety.gov.ayu or call ACCC Infocentre on 1300 302 502.  Copies of the booklet will also be available at the NRMA Road Safety presentation.

 

Action:  For consideration

 

3.6      OPRG membership

The Committee was advised that Alison Heuschkel will be representing Prince of Wales Community Health at future meetings.  Cr.Woodsmith issued a warm welcome to Alison and wished Julie Bolan all the best for her future endeavours.

 

Action: For Information

 

Guest Speaker:  Dilruba Akhter, Transport Engineer, City Services

Dilruba responded to each issue outlined in the memo and explained that City Services will conduct an audit to determine what action will need to be undertaken in relation to the requests from both committees.  Once City Services have carried out their investigations, Dilruba will report the findings to the Older Persons Advisory Committee at a future meeting.  Frida thanked Dilruba for attending the meeting.

 

Action:  Frida to invite Dilruba to attend the October Advisory Committee meeting.

 

Information Share:

·           Frida reported that nominations for Council Garden Awards Competition open from 3 August and close 27 August 2010.  Information and entry forms were tabled at the meeting.

·           Linda reported that the Coast Centre are updating their website and are producing a news sheet on a monthly basis to promote upcoming activities and events at the Centre.  Plans are also in progress for a fashion parade and an Open Day in October.  Statistics from the last financial year indicated that 17,000 people accessed the Centre. 

·           The Coast Centre are also continuing to run a range of activities for men such as exercise and cooking classes, snooker and indoor bowls.  On average the Centre is accessed by 78% women and 22% men.  The Coast Centre for Seniors AGM will be held in September.

·           Alison reported that the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT), who are a part of Community Health at Prince of Wales Hospital are undertaking local organisational training. The training is now a set requirement for nurses, OT’s, and physiotherapists.  The ACAT Team will also be undertaking a range of different training, which can also be completed online.

·           Simon reported that SENC are currently in the process of upgrading their website and creating new links within the web pages with the assistance of students from UNSW.

·           Ron reported that Simon has been attending the National Seniors, Randwick/Botany Branch meeting on a regular basis to promote available services such as the Food Services program.  Their AGM will be held on 9 August at South Juniors.

·           Anna reported that SMCS have recently undergone a quality reporting process and in 2009 produced a Healthy Living Kit.  SMCS provide Multicultural, CALD Frail/Dementia Aged Day Care, CALD Carers and Settlement Grants programs and other programs for more mobile Chinese and Spanish speaking clients. 

·           Anna also reported that SMCS are providing training for their care workers.

·           Billee reported that the PHHTNA have 23 tours booked September until December and conducted a number of tours with Probus groups.

·           Susan reported that SESDGP have received additional funding to continue Falls Prevention and Psychology programs in low care residential aged care facilities. 

 

Correspondece

·         CPSA, The Voice Newsletter August 2010

·         Sydney MCS Newsletter, July 2010

 

The meeting ended at 11.15am

 

Date of Next Meeting:  To be held on Wednesday 1 September 2010 from 10.00am to 11.30am, Randwick Room.