Community Services Committee

 

  BUSINESS PAPER

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tuesday 10 August 2010

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Administrative Centre 30 Frances Street Randwick 2031

Telephone: 02 9399 0999 or

1300 722 542 (for Sydney metropolitan area)

Fax:02 9319 1510

general.manager@randwick.nsw.gov.au

www.randwick.nsw.gov.au


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Community Services Committee

10 August 2010

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Community Services Committee

 

 

Notice is hereby given that a Community Services Committee of the Council of the City of Randwick will be held in the Council Chamber, Town Hall, 90 Avoca Street, Randwick, on Tuesday, 10 August 2010 at 6:00pm.

 

 

Committee Members:           The Mayor, J Procopiadis, Andrews, Belleli, Bowen, Hughes (Deputy Chairperson), Matson, Matthews, Nash, Notley-Smith, Seng, Smith, Stevenson, Tracey, White & Woodsmith (Chairperson)

 

Quorum:                           Eight (8) members

 

NOTE:    At the Extraordinary Meeting held on 28 September 2004, the Council resolved that the Community Services Committee be constituted as a committee with full delegation to determine matters on the agenda.

 

Apologies/Granting of Leave of Absences 

 

Confirmation of the Minutes  

Community Services Committee - 20 July 2010

 

Declarations of Pecuniary and Non-Pecuniary Interests

 

Address of Committee by Members of the Public

 

Urgent Business

Community Services Report

C14/10      Council's Advisory Committee Minutes

 

Library Reports

Nil   

 

Notice of Rescission Motions

Nil 

 

 

…………………………………………………….

Ray Brownlee

General Manager


Community Services Committee

10 August 2010

 

 

 

Community Services Report No. C14/10

 

 

Subject:                  Council's Advisory Committee Minutes

Folder No:                   F2006/00216

Author:                   Shane Lowe, Coordinator Community Programs and Partnerships     

 

Introduction

 

At the 10 March 2009 Community Services Committee it was resolved that the minutes of the Advisory Committees be presented to the Community Services Committee.

 

Issues

 

As scheduled, the Advisory Committee (listed below) has met and the minutes of the meeting, which reflect discussions and outcomes, are attached.

 

The minutes will also be available on Council’s website after each meeting.

 

This report includes minutes from:

 

·           Aboriginal Advisory Committee - May

·           Access Advisory Committee  -  February, March, April and June

·           Older Persons Advisory Committee -  February, March, April, May, June and July 2010

 

Relationship to City Plan

 

The relationship with the City Plan is as follows:

 

Outcome:  An Informed and Engaged Community.

Direction:  Effective communication methods and technology are used to share                        information and provide services.

 

Financial impact statement

 

There is no direct financial impact for this matter.

 

Conclusion

 

It is recommended that Council acknowledges and accepts the minutes of the attached Advisory Committees.

 

Recommendation

 

That Council acknowledges and accepts the minutes of the following Advisory Committee meetings:

 

·           Aboriginal Advisory Committee - May

·           Access Advisory Committee  -  February, March, April and June

·           Older Persons Advisory Committee -  February, March, April, May, June and July 2010.

 

 

Attachment/s:

 

1.View

Aboriginal Advisory Committee May Minutes

 

2.View

Access Advisory Committee February Minutes

 

3.View

Access Advisory Committee March Minutes

 

4.View

Access Advisory Committee April Minutes

 

5.View

Access Advisory Committee June Minutes

 

6.View

Older Persons Advisory Committee February Minutes

 

7.View

Older Persons Advisory Committee March Minutes

 

8.View

Older persons Advisory Committee April Minutes

 

9.View

Older Persons Advisory Committee May Minutes

 

10.View

Older Persons Advisory Committee June Minutes

 

11.View

Older Persons Advisory Committee July Minutes

 

 

 

 


Aboriginal Advisory Committee May Minutes

Attachment 1

 

 

 

 

 

 
MINUTES

Randwick City Council Aboriginal Advisory Committee

Meeting held on 12 May 2010 at Yarra Bay House

La Perouse

 

 

Present:   

                   Councillor Margaret Woodsmith – Chairperson, Randwick City Council

               Karen Cooley – Manager – Guriwal Aboriginal Corporation

               Gail Cooke – Secretary - Guriwal Aboriginal Corporation

Barbara Keeley-Simms - Guriwal Respite & Transport

               Roslyn Field – A/ CEO- La Perouse Local Aboriginal Land Council

               Michael Ingrey – La Perouse Youth Haven

Yvonne Simms – La Perouse / Botany Bay Aboriginal Corporation

Tracey Cooley – Break Through

Gary Ella – Randwick City Council (minutes)

 

Apologies:          Liz Sinnott – Principal – La Perouse Public School

 

 

1. Confirmation of Minutes:

 

The minutes of the meeting held on 25 February ’10 were confirmed.

Confirmed by Roslyn Field    seconded:  Karen Cooley

 

2. Business arising from previous minutes 25 February 2010

 

2.1     Queen Emma’s grave marking:

 

It was confirmed that Queen Emma’s grave is located in Botany Cemetery and is unmarked.

         

Action:   Cr Woodsmith, Gary Ella and Gail Cooke to visit site and report back to the Committee on where there is any opportunity to assist with the marking of the grave.

 

2.2     Queen Emma Timbery Public Art Proposal:

 

The Committee was advised that the proposed had not formally been discussed by Council but had support in principle and that Council staff would seek appropriate funding resources for the project.

 

Members of the Committee asked that Council action be delayed until the consultation processes agreed at the last meeting between the Aboriginal community of La Perouse (including the Timbery family) and Laddie Timbery had been undertaken.

 

Action:   The La Perouse LALC would contact Laddie and ask him to present his proposal at either the next LALC Board meeting (18 May). The LALC would provide feedback to the Committee.

 

2.3     Building for our Community consultation

 

Kerrie Walshaw from Council presented at the previous meeting and stated that she would prefer to consult with Aboriginal people direct but the close-off was the end of March. Roslyn Field organised a consultative meeting but cancelled it after only one Aboriginal resident responded to the invitation. 

Cr Woodsmith advised that the proposal has been passed by Council and would be implemented. No additional action was required at this stage.

   

2.4     Bins on Frenchmans Bay Reserve and ends of Bush Tucker Track:

 

Cr Woodsmith informed the meeting that she had written to the appropriate Manager within Council and was advised that bins would be installed as soon as possible at the ends of the Bush Tucker Track. Bins are placed close to roads and access points of Frenchmans Bay Reserve.

         

Action:   Gary Ella to check with Council to find out when exactly the Bush Tucker Track bins would be installed and report to the next meeting.

 

 

2.5     Clause in Human Resources advertisements:

 

Melinda Leves has prepared a submission and forwarded it to Council’s HR Division, requesting that all Council job advertisements include the phase ‘Aboriginal people are encouraged to apply’. The HR Division has not raised any issues with this request and it is expected to be adopted.

 

2.6     Installation of Bollards on Frenchmans Bay side of Track; Fire Hazard; contact person:

 

Motor bike riders using Frenchmans Bay Park was added to the list of problem users which included horse and dog owners, hang-gliders and motor vehicle thieves. Bollards on the track on the Frenchmans Bay side of Track can be organised. The positioning of the proposed bollards should be done to make it difficult for bike and horse riders to enter the park.

 

The committee was advised that the Rural Fire Service had inspected the Bush Tucker Track and reported back to Council that the track was not considered a fire hazard. Members of the Committee disagreed with this finding and requested that Council reconsider its stance and tidy up the area. Cr Woodsmith advised that the appropriate assessment had been made and a second inspection highly unlikely.  Options were then discussed for tidying up the track.

 

Note:  Steel track edging will be repaired by the bush regeneration contractors.

          They have been instructed to do this.

 

          Council contact person for Open Space areas is Chris Hunter.

 

Members of the Committee expressed a need to attend a Council meeting and present issues in regards to the Bush Tucker Track. Cr Woodsmith stated that members of the Committee were able to write submissions to Council if they wished. Complaints about bush fire assessment should be made to the Rural Fire Service.

 

Action:   Gary Ella to check on whether:

·      Council would install bollards on Frenchmans Bay side of the track as suggested by the Aboriginal Advisory Committee;

·      Council would consider assistance for options to tidy up the Bush Tucker Track.

 

2.7    

 

 

 
Resident Parking at La Perouse Reserve and speed humps:

 

Cr Woodsmith advised that Council’s Traffic Committee had considered the proposal to restrict parking within the La Perouse Reserve residential area and was expecting signs to be erected as part of a progressive roll-out program. It was also noted that the RTA had prepared a report on this issue.

 

At this stage of the meeting it was asked if there was Aboriginal representation on other Council Committees.

 

Discussion continued on the trouble caused by visitors to the area and by speeding police cars that are obviously unaware of children playing in the streets. This is a major safety issue for residents of the Reserve.

 

Speed Humps and 40kph signs were needed to be installed in both Goolagong and Murrong Place asap.

 

Members of the Committee were also very concerned about the traffic and parking congestion caused each year by the Greek ‘Festival of the Cross’.  Every year Elaroo Ave, Canara Ave and Yarra Road were severely blocked with traffic and cars illegally parking, making it difficult for residents to get around the area. Several suggestions were made on traffic control but the major issue was policing of speeding cars and illegal parking on the day whether it was patrolled by the Police or Council Rangers.   

 

Action:  

·      Council to implement Resident Only Parking / or restricted Parking Time Limits signs asap in the area known as the La Perouse Reserve.

·      Council to investigate possibility of installing speed humps on Goolagong and Murrong Place.

·      Council to investigate whether there is a ‘Special Event’ Traffic Control plan in effect at similar events at la Perouse. Cr Woodsmith to speak with the Mayor about the Greek Festival traffic congestion.

 

2.8     Jessie Stewart Broomfield Fountain, La Perouse:

 

Council will re-erect the Fountain very close to its original site.

 

2.9     Naming of Points / Reserves:

 

Cr Woodsmith reported that the name of Frenchmans Bay Reserve would remain as it is.  Yvonne Simms expressed her extreme disappointment that the name would not be changed to John Henry Simms Reserve as the name would connect the Simms and Timbery family names to the area.
Cr Woodsmith pointed out that the Simms and Timbery names would be used for look-out points in the La Perouse area and that Council was waiting for advice from the LALC on a further 3 family names to be used at other locations.

 

Action:   La Perouse Local Aboriginal Land Council members would discuss this issue at their next meeting on 31 May and finalise family names for the naming of points in the area. Roslyn Field to advise Council on the names agreed to.

 

 

 

2.10    La Perouse suburb sign:

 

There is no suburb sign for La Perouse, there used to be a standard black and white sign at the junction of Elaroo Ave and Anzac Parade.  Committee suggested that Council should erect a dual suburb sign that included the appropriate Aboriginal name for the area or the name of the traditional owners.

 

Action:       Council to investigate possibility of the dual name suburb sign with

appropriate Aboriginal design.

 

 

 

 

 
2.11    Installation of Flag Poles:

 

The Committee confirmed that Flag Poles should be erected at Yarra Recreational Reserve and the Prince Henry Community Centre to enable the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander flags could be flown along side the Australian flag.  It was also suggested that where there were 3 flag poles at Council premises that all three flags should be flown. It was noted that the Council administration building flies all three flags on a permanent basis. Flags should also be lowered on special days eg. the death of community members and Sorry Day.  

 

Action:        Council to investigate possibility of installing flag poles at Prince Henry Community Centre and Yarra Recreational Reserve, and observe special days to Aboriginal community by lowering flags as appropriate.

 

 

2.12    Local Government Cultural Awards

 

Karen Cooley and Barbara Keeley thanked the Mayor and staff of the Council for a very enjoyable night at the Local Government Cultural Awards night, Parliament House on 7 May.  Although the Guriwal Bush Tucker Track did not win an award it was good to be nominated.  Barbara felt that the Welcome to Country on the night as inappropriate as it was not conducted by an elder of the Gadigal community and was done in a language outside of the Eora nation. Welcome to Country protocols should be conducted through the Local Aboriginal Land Councils. Barbara was advised that if she was unhappy she could write to the organisers of the event.

 

Barbara Keeley mentioned that she would be requesting that Council’s General Manager supports future submissions for members of the Aboriginal Advisory Committee to attend the Local Government Association conference in October and the Local Government Aboriginal Network conference.  

 

2.12    Meeting with John Morse (Indigenous Tourism Consultant), Guriwal and Randwick City Council on 17 March 2010

 

Meeting took place with John Morse and representatives from Guriwal and Randwick City Council. Shane Lowe – Coordinator Community Programs and Partnerships, Peter Maganov - Manager Sustainability, and David Kelly – Manager Administration represented the Council. At the meeting Guriwal raised concerns about the management of the Guriwal Bush Tucker Track, in that other groups were allowed to run commercial tours of the track. Karen Cooley advised the Aboriginal Advisory Committee that Guriwal felt that their concerns were not addressed during the meeting and wrote to Council outlining these concerns. 

 

 Action:    Gary Ella to check with Shane Lowe as to the outcomes of the issues raised in Guriwal’s letter to Council.

 

 

3. New Business:

 

3.1     Reconciliation / NAIDOC Week Celebrations

 

          On 3 June Council would take a bus to Kamay Botany Bay National Park as

          a major event during Reconciliation Week. The event includes the Aboriginal

          heritage walk and lunch. Council were looking to support more community

          activities during Reconciliation and NAIDOC Weeks. Guriwal are planning

          their NAIDOC family day for Wednesday 9 July and the La Perouse LALC is

          planning to launch the Men’s Group area at Yarra Bay House during NAIDOC

          Week. Council could start NAIDOC with a morning tea at this launch.

 

Action: Council would distribute information in regards to the Kamay Botany Bay National Park excursion asap. Guriwal and the LALC would put together a ‘List of Events’ for NAIDOC Week. Gary Ella to arrange support for the proposed morning tea and launching of the Men’s Area.

 

4. General Business: 

 

4.1     Men’s Group:

 

Michael Ingrey advised that a La Perouse Men’s Group had been formed with the assistance of the La Perouse LALC and had secured funding to build a small outdoor facility for their activities and meetings. The Group would deal with Men’s issues including physical and mental health problems.  The facility was almost complete but Michael requested Council’s assistance to put the finishing touches to the area.  Michael requested that Council consider: moving sandstone blocks currently located near Pioneer Park be re-l

 

 

 
ocated to the Men’s area site; providing native trees for planting around the facility; funding be provided for a plaque / sign be erected.

 

Action:   Michael Ingrey to provide Council with a formal submission. Gary Ella to investigate suitable Grants program where funds might be available to assist and investigate the possibility of the re-locating of sandstone blocks. 

 

4.2     Aboriginal Cultural Awareness Course:

 

Barbara Keeley recommended that all Councillors and Council staff undertake an Aboriginal Cultural Awareness Course to improve communications between Aboriginal groups and Council.  TAFE was recommended as a source for facilitators of the course.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4.3     DECCW Consultation Guidelines:

 

Yvonne Simms wanted to know if Council were aware of DECCW changes to their Aboriginal community consultation guidelines.  Gary Ella stated that he was aware of the changes and would provide relevant documentation at the next meeting.

 

 

 

 

4.4     Mural on Belmore Road:

 

Barbara Keeley and Yvonne Simms asked if Council could re-fresh the mural on Belmore Road, Randwick (near Coles Arcade). The mural contains a portrait of from La Perouse.

 

4.5     Mothers Day Luncheon

 

Barbara Keeley advised that the Mothers Day Luncheon was very successful and thanked Council for its contribution.

 

Close Meeting: 12.00noon

 

Next Meeting 24 June 2010 

 


Access Advisory Committee February Minutes

Attachment 2

 

 

MINUTES

 

Randwick City Council Access Advisory Committee

Meeting held on 11 February 2010, 11am at the

Randwick Room.

 

Present

Cr. Margaret Woodsmith      Randwick City Council

Frida Kitas                        Randwick City Council

Chris Donnellan                  Randwick City Council

Terry Fletcher                   Community Representative

Vince Bates                      Headeast

Mai Rose                          Community Representative

Andrew Blair                      Community Representative

Jessica Blair                      Community Representative

 

Apologies

Melinda Ross                     Sunnyfield

Tess Protey                      Junction House

Dianne Thian                     Community Representative

Phillip Sundstrum        Community Representative

Anne Patterson                  Community Representative

 

1.      Minutes

 

The Minutes of the meeting held on Thursday 8 October were confirmed.

 

2.      Business Arising from Previous Minutes

 

2.1    International Day of People with a Disability (IDPWD)

Frida reported that the Disability Sport and Physical Activity Information Expo held on Saturday November 14 at the Randwick Community Centre was well attended.   Council distributed over 800 Disability Information packs at Coogee Family Fun Day on Saturday 5 December at Goldstein Reserve. In addition, a Masquerade Ball was held at the Prince Henry Community Centre, Little Bay on the 21 November for people with a disability over the age of 18 and their family and carers.  The Ball was attended by over 180 people.  This local community event was organised in partnership with Junction House and Holdsworth Community Centre & Services.

 

Action:  For Information.

 

2.2    World AIDS Day Campaign

Frida reported that Council raised over $700 on the behalf of South Eastern Sydney Illawarra Health Services (SESIAHS) for World AIDS Day (December 1).  All proceeds raised were donated to the Bobby Goldsmith Foundation to support HIV positive people living in NSW who do not have access to Medicare Cards.  In addition, Council screened the documentary The Great Granny Revolution at the Ritz Cinema on November 15, to raise funds and awareness about HIV AIDS.  The event was supported by the International Women’s Right Project and funds raised from the evening were donated to the Great Granny Project. 

 

Action  For Information.

 

 

2.3      RCC Website

The Committee was informed that Hotels Combined Accessible hotels link has been listed under the LINCS Community Directory on Council’s website.

 

Action:  For Noting.

 

2.4    Access Issues from previous meeting

The Committee was informed that work has been undertaken to repair the uneven footpath sections at New Orleans Crescent, Maroubra.  The two missing kerb ramps at Sims Grove, South Maroubra have been scheduled to be replaced. A kerb ramp will be installed at 2 Coast Hospital Road to improve access to the Prince Henry Community Centre at Little Bay for all members of the community.

 

Frida reported that the disability parking spots at the Level 2 entry point at Westfield Eastgardens were relocated, due to the number of complaints from patrons whose vehicles were damaged by trolleys left in the dedicated trolley bay.  Committee members discussed the relocation of the accessible parking spots at length.  Frida will follow this matter up with Joan Hume and Alex Mateski, Facilities Manager, Westfield.

 

Alex Mateski has also responded to the Committee’s request for additional signage to be installed indicating patrons can access the Centre via the lift at the Office Tower Block, situated on Level 2.  Westfield will be undertaking a full review of all of their car park signage in 2010 and will include this request as part of the review.  Westfield will also be reviewing all physical entry points into the Shopping Centre. 

 

Terry also asked when work will be undertaken on Frenchmans Road and Kemmis Street, Randwick, as identified in the North Ward Streetscape access audit.

 

Action:  Frida to liaise with Joan Hume, Alex Mateski and City Services in regards to the relocation of the disability parking spots at Westfield Eastgardens and request for footpath upgrades at Frenchmans Road & Kemmis Street, North Randwick.

 

3.      New Business:

 

3.1    Randwick City Council Cultural Grants Program

Frida reported that Council is inviting residents and locally based community groups and not for profit organisations to apply for funding under Council’s Cultural Community Grants Program.  Applications for the first founding round will close on Monday 1 March.  Closing date for the second round will be on Monday 23 August.  Information kits and application forms are available on Council’s website.

 

Action:  For noting.

 

3.2      Randwick City Council Draft Social Inclusion Plan

The Committee was informed that Council’s draft Social Plan “An Inclusive Randwick City” will be on public exhibition until Friday 26 February.  An Inclusive Randwick City is a draft 10 year social inclusion plan which aims to develop opportunities for residents to be actively involved in community life.  It focuses on people who experience social disadvantage and will also benefit members of the broader community.  To provide comment on any of the proposed actions and strategies of the plan, please contact David Briant, Council’s Senior Social Planner on 9399 0994 or email david.briant@randwick.nsw.gov.au.  Copies of the plan were electronically circulated to Committee members.

 

Action: For noting.

 

3.3      Disability Surfing Day

Frida reported that she has been liaising with Gary Blaschke, President of the Disabled Surfers Association in regards to holding a Surfing Day at South Maroubra Beach in the lead up to International Day of People with a Disability.  The Surfing Day will be open to people with a range of disabilities.  Gary will be invited to a Committee meeting to speak about the event in more detail.

 

Action: Frida to invite Gary to attend the Access Committee meeting as a guest speaker.

 

3.4      International Women’s Day

Council are inviting participants to contribute to Council’s 6th International Women’s Day Art Competition and Exhibition.  The competition is open to all females over 12 years of age, living, studying or working in Randwick City.  Art work may be of any medium.  All entries must be delivered to the Randwick Community Centre, 27 Munda Street, Randwick on Monday 1 March between 10am and 6pm.  An awards ceremony will be held on Saturday 6 March from 10am to 1 noon at Randwick Community Centre.  The exhibition will be open to the public for viewing from Tuesday 9 March, 2-5pm, Wednesday 10 March, 4-6pm and Thursday 11 March from 12.30 – 4pm at Randwick Community Centre. Entry forms and guidelines were tabled at the meeting

 

Action:  For Noting

 

3.5      Seniors Week 2010

Frida reported that Council will be running a series of workshops and activities to celebrate Seniors Week (March 21 - 28).  A Therapeutic Gardening Workshop will be held at Council’s Community Nursery on Saturday 20 March from 11am to 2pm.  An Evening Tour of the Prince Henry Hospital Nursing and Medical Museum will be held on Wednesday 24 March from 6pm to 8pm at the Nursing and Medical Museum, 2 Brodie Avenue, Little Bay.  A Playwriting and Performance Workshop will be held on 10 April from 10am to 4pm at Bowen Library & Community Centre. Registrations are essential.  Council will also be supporting Eastern Sydney Multicultural Access Project to run a series of healthy living workshops for older people and carers from Non-English backgrounds.

 

Action:  Frida to circulate flyers to Committee members.

 

3.6      ADHC Client & Carer Forums

In 2010, Ageing, Disability and Home Care (ADHC) Metro South Region is hosting nine Client & Carer Forums (Information Exchanges) for clients, families and their carers.  These Forums also provide an opportunity for ADHC to keep you up to date on regional developments. Registrations can be lodged by contacting Clayton Freeman at clayton.freeman@dadhc.gov.au or 9334 3732.  Frida previously circulated information about the Forums.

 

Action:  For noting.

 

4.         Information Share

·      Vince reported that Headeast are planning to hold an event at South Maroubra Skate Park during Acquired Brian Injury Week in August, with the aim of promoting safety for youth.  They are also planning to hold a series of photography workshops for clients culminating in an exhibition.

 

5       Correspondence

·      Newsletter of IDEAS November/December 2009

·      Newsletter of IDEAS January/February 2010

·      Randwick/Waverley Community Transport Newsletter

·      Autism Spectrum Disorders Newsletter Vol 19

·      TAD Journal, January 2010

·      Woollahra Access Advisory Committee December Minutes

 

6       Date of Next Meeting:

To be held on Thursday 11 March from 10am to 11.30am, Randwick Room.

 

 


Access Advisory Committee March Minutes

Attachment 3

 

 

MINUTES

 

Randwick City Council Access Advisory Committee

Meeting held on 11 March 2010, 11am at the

Randwick Room.

 

Present

Cr. Margaret Woodsmith      Randwick City Council

Frida Kitas                        Randwick City Council

Dianne Thian                     Community Representative

Mai Rose                          Community Representative

Melinda Ross                     Sunnyfield

Lellah Woulf                      Sunnyfield

Tess Protey                      Junction House

Andrew Blair                      Community Representative

Jessica Blair                      Community Representative

Phillip Sundstrum        Community Representative

Anne Patterson                  Community Representative

Mark Trevaskis                  Best Buddies Australia

       

 

Apologies

Chris Donnellan                  Randwck City Council

Terry Fletcher                   Community Representative

Vince Bates                      Headeast

 

1.      Minutes

 

The Minutes of the meeting held on Thursday 11 February were confirmed.  Melinda introduced Lellah Woulf, Manager for Sunnyfield’s Centre Based House at Matraville to the Committee.

 

2.      Business Arising from Previous Minutes

 

2.1    Access Issues from previous meeting

Jessica reported the footpath upgrades at New Orleans Crescent have been completed.  Dianne raised the issue of the management of dogs at Kensington Oval and Latham Park, particularly during after school hours. Committee members also discussed the issue of dog owners failing to keep to their dogs under effective control at on-leash parks and beaches throughout Randwick City.  Malabar Rock pool was identified as a problem area.  It was suggested at the meeting that Council use a variety of methods to educate and remind dog owners of their responsibilities when exercising their dogs in open spaces within Randwick City.  Frida will liaise with Janine Burke, Coordinator Rangers, in regards to the issues raised at the meeting. 

 

Action:  Frida to liaise with Janine Burke in relation to issues raised at the meeting and to invite Janine to provide an update at the April meeting.

 

2.2    Companion Card

Mai Rose raised the issue of problems around the use of the Companion Card, which provides free access to venues and events for the companion of people with a disability. The program also assists organisations that charge an admission fee to comply with existing anti-discrimination legislated. It was noted front-line staff of participating organisations have poor knowledge about the program, hence causing potential embarrassment to cardholders.  Committee members suggested that organisations affiliated with the Companion Card need to improve staff awareness about the program by providing disability awareness training or incorporating information about the program as part of their staff induction process. 

 

Action:  Frida to contact National Disability Services (NDS) to provide feedback/recommendations on the behalf of the Advisory Committee.

 

3       New Business

 

3.1      Drama Workshops

The Committee was informed that Council will be holding two free drama workshops for people with a disability over the age of 16 at Bowen Library and Community Centre in April & May.  The workshops will be facilitated by local actor/director Bill Conn.  Dates for the workshop are still to be confirmed. 

 

Action:  Frida to provide an update about the drama workshops at the April meeting.

 

Guest Speaker:  Mark Trevaskis, Executive Director, Best Buddies Australia (BBA).

Mark informed the Committee that the Best Buddies program matches a person with an intellectual disability to person without a disability in a one to one friendship.  The concept of the program is based on the notion of social inclusion and is available to people who have a mild to moderate intellectual disability 18 years of age and above.  The focus is on friendship rather than mentoring.  The program matches volunteers (Peer Buddies) and those who have an intellectual disability (Buddies) according to age, location, gender and interests. 

 

Volunteer commitment is for 12 months.  Matched buddies are required to meet twice a month and actively engage in typical activities such as going to the movies, a football game and other activities that many people take for granted.  Buddy pairs are supported by Program Managers who facilitate the matches, support the relationship and provide training etc. The program contributes to the development of essential life and adaptive skills such as catching public transport and managing money etc

 

Best Buddies also operates a High Schools program aimed at young people in Years 8 to 12. Best Buddies work with staff and principals in mainstream schools to identify students suitable to participate in the program.

This program exists in 7 high schools in Sydney and to date more than 100 Buddy pairs have been formed.  The program aims to reduce social isolation and enable people with intellectual disabilities to participate in community life.  Benefits for buddy pairs include improved confidence, lifestyle and increased skill development.  Best Buddies Australia provide training to principals, peer buddies and teachers to ensure the success of the program.

 

Both the Citizen and High School program aim to continue and develop the friendships past the initial 12 month volunteer commitment. To date, Buddy Pairs have contributed more than 5000 hours to doing things together in the community.  Best Buddies Australia are currently looking to deliver a Citizens Program in Eastern Sydney and are approaching Local Councils and disability organisations to assist in the delivery of this program.  Frida thanked Mark on the behalf of the Committee for attending the meeting as a guest speaker.

 

Action:  For Information

 

4.         Information Share

·         Melinda reported that Sunnyfield will be accepting applications for Centre based respite and flexible respite from Thursday 1 April.  The packages provide 3 – 4 hours respite per week for 12 months and can include community access or in-home respite, depending on client needs. 

·         Tess reported that Junction House have had requests from clients to hold fitness classes for Seniors who have a disability and live in group homes.  Junction House are looking to run a pilot program that includes exercise and a social component.

·         Frida reported that she will be attending the Arts Activated National Conference on the 25th & 26th March 2010.

 

5       Correspondence

·         Newsletter of IDEAS March/April 2010

·         IDEAS E Newsletter

 

6       Date of Next Meeting:

To be held on Thursday 8 April from 10am to 11.30am, Randwick Room.

 

 


Access Advisory Committee April Minutes

Attachment 4

 

 

MINUTES

 

Randwick City Council Access Advisory Committee

Meeting held on Thursday 8 April, 11am at the

Randwick Room.

 

Present

Cr. Margaret Woodsmith      Randwick City Council

Frida Kitas                        Randwick City Council

Janine Burke                      Randwick City Council

Jane Frankland                  Randwick City Council

Mai Rose                          Community Representative

Terry Fletcher                   Community Representative

Dianne Thian                     Community Representative

Andrew Blair                      Community Representative

 

Apologies

Chris Donnellan                  Randwck City Council

Tess Protey                      Junction House

Vince Bates                      Headeast

Melinda Ross                     Sunnyfield

Jessica Blair                      Community Representative

Anne Patterson                  Community Representative

Phillip Sundstrom        Community Representative

 

1.      Minutes

 

The Minutes of the meeting held on Thursday 11 March were confirmed.

 

2.      Business Arising from Previous Minutes

 

2.1    Companion Card Program

The Committee was informed that Frida contacted National Disability Services in regards to the issues raised about the Companion Card Scheme at the previous meeting.  Cardholders who have experienced problems with the Companion Card Program should notify National Disability Services and they will address any issues directly with participating organisations. Complaints can be emailed to companioncard@NDS.org.au or telephone 1800 898 044. 

 

Action:  For Noting.

 

2.2    Drama Workshops

Frida reported that two drama workshops for people with disabilities will be held on Tuesday 27 April and Tuesday 11 May at Bowen Library and Community Centre.  Both workshops will be facilitated by actor/director Bill Conn and participants must be 16 years of age and above.

 

Action:  For Noting

 

2.3    Accessible Parking

Terry requested an update in regards to the proposed disability parking spaces at Byron Street and the bottom of Carr Street, Coogee to enable people with mobility issues to access Coogee Diggers (formerly known as Coogee/Randwick RSL).  Frida will also invite Tony Lehmann to attend a future Committee meeting to provide an update about disability parking spaces within the City of Randwick

 

Action:  Frida to liaise with Tony Lehmann and provide an update at the May meeting. 

 

3       New Business

 

3.1      Community Development and Support Expenditure Scheme

The Committee was informed that Council is inviting local non-profit community groups and organisations to apply for funding under the 2010 Randwick Community Development and Support Expenditure (CDSE) Scheme.  Under the Scheme, local clubs contribute funding to help non-profit groups in Randwick to provide vital services for our community.  Applications must be received by Friday 30 April.  Frida previously circulated electronic copies of application forms and information kits to Committee members. 

 

Action:  For Noting.

 

3.2      Randwick’s Marine Discovery Program

Frida reported that Council will be running a Marine Discovery program which will include a range of activities, presentations and tours from April 12-15.  Frida tabled flyers and posters at the meeting.  For further information visit Council’s website www.randwick.nsw.gov.au.

 

Action:  For Noting

 

3.3      Access Issues

Cr.Woodsmith reported that the Duke of Gloucester Hotel at Randwick have submitted a DA application to Council to install a platform lift to enable people with mobility issues access to the 2nd floor of the pub.  The Committee discussed whether the lift will be situated on the footpath or within the building.  Terry also requested that slip resistance tiles are not used when the streetscape upgrade is undertaken on Belmore Road, as these tiles make it difficult for people with ambulant disabilities to negotiate the footpath during wet weather.  Joan Hume will also provide a report in regards to footpath deficiencies on Frenchman’s and Clovelly Road and Kemmis Street that were not captured in the North Ward streetscape audit. 

 

Action:  Cr.Woodsmith to provide update regarding the proposed platform lift at the Duke of Gloucester Hotel at the May Committee meeting.  Frida to liaise with City Services in regards to the Belmore Road upgrade.

 

 

3.4    ANZ Stadium

Mai reported that she recently attended a football match at ANZ Stadium. The view of the field from the dedicated disability seating on Level 5 of the Stadium, outside the Ambassador Room was obscured by a safety rail.  The safety rail is situated at eye level of the person occupying the dedicated disability seating, as a result compromising their viewing experience.

 

Action:  Frida to write a letter on behalf of the Access Committee to the Managing Directing of ANZ Stadium.

 

Guest Speaker:  Janine Burke, RCC Coordinator Rangers

The issue of the management of dogs within Randwick City parks and open spaces was raised at the previous meeting.  Janine and Jane spoke about the NSW Companion Animal Act and Council’s role in adopting these policies and procedures.  There are 14 leash free designated parks within the City of Randwick.  Owners have an obligation to keep their dogs under effective control when exercising their dogs at any leash free park within Randwick City.

 

Under the Act all dogs must be micro chipped.  Council rangers and the police have commenced regular patrols at Kensington Oval and the police will also undertake additional patrols at Kensington Park.  It was suggested at the meeting that Council could remove the gates at Kensington Oval as a means of discouraging people from exercising their dogs within the Oval, particularly during after school hours.  Janine also informed the Committee that the Rangers will also be patrolling Latham Park and Malabar Rock pool as per the Committee’s request.

 

 

Action:  Frida to contact Chris Hunter, RCC Coordinator Open Spaces, to request that the gates be removed from Kensington Oval.

 

4.         Information Share

·         Terry reported that new AS 1428.1-2009 has been launched.

 

5       Correspondence

·         SENC Newsletter, Issue 20, 2010

·         IDEAS E Newsletter 43, 2010

·         Access News Volume 1, 2010

·         WWDA News Issue 1, 2010

·         TAD Journal April 2010

 

6       Date of Next Meeting:

To be held on Thursday 13 May from 10am to 11.30am, Randwick Room.

 

 


Access Advisory Committee June Minutes

Attachment 5

 

 

MINUTES

 

Randwick City Council Access Advisory Committee

Meeting held on Thursday 10 June, 11am at the

Randwick Room.

 

Present

Cr. Margaret Woodsmith      Randwick City Council

Frida Kitas                        Randwick City Council

Chris Donnellan                  Randwick City Council

Dianne Thian                     Community Representative

Andrew Blair                      Community Representative

Phillip Sundstrom        Community Representative

 

Apologies

Tess Protey                      Junction House

Vince Bates                      Headeast

Melinda Ross                     Sunnyfield

Jessica Blair                      Community Representative

Terry Fletcher                   Community Representative

Anne Patterson                  Community Representative

 

 

1.      Minutes

 

The Minutes of the meeting held on Thursday 8 April were confirmed.

 

2.      Business Arising from Previous Minutes

 

2.1    Drama Workshops

The Committee was informed that two drama workshops were held for clients from Holdsworth Community Centre & Services and Junction House on 27th of April and 11th of May at Bowen Library.  Feedback was overwhelmingly positive for both workshops and Council are planning to hold additional drama workshops in the future.

 

Action:  For Information.

 

2.2    Volunteer Morning Tea

Frida reported that 130 volunteers from a range community organisations and groups within Randwick City and surrounding areas attended a thank you morning tea with the Mayor on Friday 14 May.  In addition, Bill Conn, local director and actor, spoke about his work as a volunteer with Vision Australia.  The function was held during National Volunteer Week which is celebration on an annual basis from May 10 -16. 

 

Action:  For Noting

 

2.3    Disability Parking Spaces

The Committee was informed that the two disability parking spaces have been installed on Byron and Carr Streets Coogee to facilitate access to the pool at Coogee Diggers (formerly The Coogee Randwick RSL). There have been a number of requests from the Older Persons Advisory Committee for additional spaces within Randwick City.   In addition, Frida will follow up the requests from the Access Committee for disability parking on Coogee Bay Road, Mount & Vickers Streets Coogee with City Services.

 

Action:  Frida to liaise with Tony Lehmann, Manager Integrated Transport in regards to request for additional accessible parking in Randwick City.

 

2.4    JNC Automated Sliding Doors

Frida reported that the automated sliding doors have been installed at the Junction Neighbourhood Centre, Maroubra to facilitate access for people with mobility issues.  Phillip mentioned that the height of the button to activate the sliding door may be too high and not meet the standards.

 

Action:  Chris Donnellan to investigate and provide an update at the July meeting.

 

2.5    Beach Wheelchairs for Council Beaches

The Committee was informed that Council has resolved to promote the existing water wheelchair at Clovelly Beach to residents and visitors by advertising the initiative in the Mayor’s Column, Council’s website, local networks and via signage at Clovelly Beach.  Council will also investigate the possibility of purchasing a second wheelchair for Maroubra beach in the future.  Frida thanked the Committee for their input in regards to this matter.

 

Action:  For noting.

 

2.6    Access Issues from previous meeting

Frida reported that following an inspection of the sports field enclosure at Kensington Oval, Council will keep the pedestrian entry gate in front of the amenities building permanently locked open in response to the Committees request.  The two vehicular entry gates need to remain closed to prevent vehicular entry onto the sports field.  Cr.Woodsmith will provide an update in regards to the DA application for the proposed platform lift at the Duke of Gloucester Hotel, Randwick at the July meeting. 

 

Action:  Cr Woodsmith to provide an update regarding the proposed platform lift at the Duke of Gloucester Hotel at the July meeting.

 

3       New Business

 

3.1      Pedestrian Access and Mobility Plan (PAMP) Study

The Committee was informed that Council is seeking feedback to help develop a Pedestrian Access Mobility Plan (PAMP) for Kensington and parts of West Kingsford.  The PAMP aims to improve the planning of pedestrian and access facilities in Kensington and Kingsford with a focus on areas frequently used by pedestrians.  Kensington and West Kingsford residents can also send their comments and ideas to Council by completing the online survey – the questionnaire will also be extended to residents and visitors to Randwick City.  The deadline for comments and the survey return is Thursday 10 June 2010.  In addition, Council will be organising a joint workshop on the Pedestrian and Mobility plan with representatives from the Kensington Precinct sub-committee.  Members of the Access & Older Persons Advisory Committees will also be invited to attend and participate in the workshop.  Invitations will be circulated within the next few weeks.

 

Action: Council to invite members of the Older Persons and Access Advisory Committees to attend the PAMP workshop in June.

 

3.2    RCC Cultural Community Grants Program

Frida reported that applications requesting funding or in-kind assistance from Council for a project, activity or event to be held from October to March will need to be received by Council by COB on Monday 23 August 2010.  Applicants can seek grants from Council for the following: In-kind contribution only (waiver of Council and charges), Cash contributions only or a combination of in-kind and cash contribution.

 

Action:  For noting

 

3.3      Traffic Signal Boxes

The Committee was informed that Council are seeking to work with local community organisations on the proposed RTA signal boxes project for the Randwick LGA.  Local community artist, Angela Yeend will work with interested organisations to develop artwork for the signal boxes and will facilitate workshops in regards to the initial design phase of the project.  Angela will then undertake all painting of the signal boxes, when the artwork is completed.  Frida tabled samples of RTA signal boxes that were completed in the Leichardt LGA.

 

Action:  For consideration.

 

3.4    Access Issue, Bardon Park, Coogee

The Committee was informed that correspondence was received from Mrs Ruth Conroy, a local resident requesting that Council consider having the lights on at Bardon Park from 5.30pm – 7.00pm, Monday to Friday during winter to ensure the safety of all residents and visitors accessing the park. At present the park lights are left on two evenings a week for children participating in after-school exercise and sporting programs. However, Bardon Park is also a leash free-park which is regularly accessed by residents exercising dogs in the evening and by commuters who use the park to access their homes from the bus stops on Bream Street.  In addition, parts of the park grounds are not even, creating potential trip hazards, particularly when people are walking though the park in darkness.

The Committee recommeded that Council should provide lighting at Bardon Park during the week until 7.00pm to improve safety and increase visibility, especially of more vulnerable members of the community such as the frail aged and people with disabilities.

 

Action:  Frida to liaise with City Services in regards to this request and notify Mrs Conway of the outcome.

 

3.5      Community Patient Transport Brochure

Frida tabled copies of the Community Patient Transport brochure at the meeting.  The brochure outlines the types of Community Transport providers available to meet the needs of transport disadvantaged groups in the community including isolated families, frail aged, people with disabilities and their carers.  Randwick Waverley Community Transport and South Sydney Community Transport provide individual patient transport for medical and hospital related appointments for HACC clients. It was also noted that Randwick/Waverley Community Transport have secured funding from ADHC for service expansion.  Frida tabled RWCT brochures at the meeting.

 

Action:  For noting

 


3.6      Camp Kookaburra

The Committee was informed that Camp Kookaburra are currently looking for referrals for any child between 8-16 years old who has a parent or sibling with a mental health issue.  The camps are free and a medical diagnosis is not compulsory. Dianne requested the contact details for Camp Kookaburra at the meeting.

 

Action:  Frida to email Dianne the contact details for Camp Kookaburra

 

3.7      Kerb Ramps, Randwick

Frida reported that Terry Fletcher received a request from the Randwick precinct Committee for kerb ramps to be upgraded and or, installed on the south-west corner of Frances and Cook streets and the north-west corner of Cowper and Church streets, Randwick.

 

Action:  Frida to liaise with City Services and provide an update at the July meeting

 

3.8      Ramp, South Maroubra Surf Lifesaving Club

Andrew reported there is a gap in the ramp adjoining the southern part of the Surf Life Saving Club at South Maroubra, and has requested that Council consider installing a concrete platform or path to facilitate access to the beach.  Committee members agreed that South Maroubra beach could potentially be accessed by more people with disabilities and their families if access was improved.

 

Action:  Chris Donnellan to carry out a site inspection and provide an update at the July meeting.

 

4.         Information Share

 

5       Correspondence

·         IDEAS E-News Issue 4, 2010

·         Accord Autumn Edition 2010

·         Eastern Sydney Disability Interagency May Minutes 2010

 

6       Date of Next Meeting:

To be held on Thursday 8 July from 10am to 11.30am, Randwick Room.

 

 


Older Persons Advisory Committee February Minutes

Attachment 6

 

 

MINUTES

Randwick City Council

Older Persons Reference Group

Meeting held on Wednesday 3 February 2010

 

 

Present

Cr. Margaret Woodsmith      Randwick City Council

Frida Kitas                        Randwick City Council

Marlene Kerr                      Coast Centre for Seniors

Linda Mearing                    Coast Centre for Seniors

Billee King                         Community Representative

Susan McCann                   Division of General Practice

George Gergely                  Community Representative

Anna Lipoma                     Sydney Multicultural Centre

Julie Bolan                        Prince of Wales Community Health

Sharon Blunt                     Randwick/Waverley Community Transport

Ron Wood                         National Seniors – Randwick Botany Branch

Mike Cornell                      National Seniors – Randwick Botany Branch

 

Apologies

Simon Bennetts                 South East Neighbourhood Centre

Megan Bowyer                   Junction Neighbourhood Centre

Keith Francis                     Community Representative

 

Introductions

Cr. Woodsmith issued a warm welcome to Linda Mearing, newly appointed Manager of the Coast Centre for Seniors.  Frida reported that Shirley Smith has resigned from the Older Persons Advisory Committee.   Frida will formally write to Shirley thanking her for her contribution to the Committee.

 

1. Minutes

The minutes of the meeting held on 4 November 2009 were confirmed.  Cr.Woodsmith 

 

2. Business Arising from Minutes

 

2.1      Seniors Week 2010 (March 21-28)

Frida advised that the Therapeutic Gardening Workshop will be held on Saturday 20th March at Council’s Community Nursery from 11am to 3pm.  The Evening Tour of the Prince Henry Hospital Nursing and Medical Museum at Little Bay will be held on Wednesday 24th March from 6.00pm – 8.00pm.  The Playwriting and Performance workshop will be held on the 10th of April at Bowen Library Community Centre from 10.00am to 4.00pm.  In addition, Council in partnership with the Eastern Sydney Multicultural Access Project will be running a number of healthy living workshops for older people from Non-English speaking backgrounds living in Randwick City. Council has received sponsorship contributions from The Department of Ageing, Disability and Home Care (ADHC), Randwick Labor Club and Clovelly Community Bank for planned activities and events for NSW Seniors Week.

 

Action: For noting.

 

2.2      Superannuation Seminar Update

Frida reported that the Superannuation Consultation Seminar organised in conjunction with National Seniors Australia has been delayed until May.  The seminar will now be held at Bowen Library and Community Centre. 

 

Action:  Frida to provide updates at future meetings.

 

2.2      Access Issues, previous meeting

Frida reported that the access issues from the previous meeting were forwarded to Tony Lehmann, Council’s Integrated Transport Manager for consideration.  Frida will provide an update at the March Advisory Committee meeting.

 

Action:  Frida to provide an update at the March meeting.

 

3   General Business

 

3.1      RCC Cultural Community Grants

Frida reported that Council is inviting residents and locally based community groups and not for profit organisations to apply for funding under Council’s Cultural Community Grants Program.  Applications for the first funding round will close on Monday 1 March.  Closing date for the second round will be on Monday 23 August.  Information kits and application forms are available from Council’s website.

 

Action:  For Noting.

 

3.2      SSWAHS Health Program

Frida tabled brochures regarding the Sydney South West Area Health Service (SSWAHS) EASY STEPS to health research study program.  The research program is designed to help older adults maintain and achieve the recommended level of physical activity needed for good health.  Health Promotion are seeking participants who are 65 years or older, living in the community are able to speak English, and do not have any conditions that limit ability to regularly exercise.  For more information or to join the EASY STEPS to health program contact Karen Waller, Health Promotion Officer Study Coordinator on 1800 032 684.

 

Action:  For noting.

 

3.3      STA Safe Travel for Seniors Campaign

Frida reported that the State Transit Authority are seeking feedback on their recent Sydney Buses “Safe Travel for Seniors” Campaign.  The brochure was tabled at the meeting.  Committee members identified a range of issues with the brochure.  Frida will forward comments and recommendations to Melina Rookes, Marketing Manager at the STA authority, as requested.

 

Action:  Frida to forward comments in regards to the brochure to the STA.

 

3.4      International Women’s Day

The Committee was informed that Council are inviting participants to contribute to Council’s 6th International Women’s Day Art Competition and Exhibition.  The competition is open to all females over 12 years of age, living, studying or working in Randwick City.  Art work may be of any medium.  All entries must be delivered to the Randwick Community Centre, 27 Munda Street, Randwick on Monday 1 March between 10am and 6pm.  An awards ceremony will be held on Saturday 6 March from 10am to 1 noon at Randwick Community Centre.  The exhibition will be open to the public for viewing from Tuesday 9 March, 2-5pm, Wednesday 10 March, 4-6pm and Thursday 11 March from 12.30 – 4pm at Randwick Community Centre. Entry forms and guidelines were tabled at the meeting.

 

Action:  For noting.

 

3.5    Photography Workshop for Seniors

The Museum of Contemporary Art (MCA) and Australian Centre for Photography (ACP) are offering a free workshop for Senior’s interested in visual art and photography.  The workshops will be held on Monday 1, 8 and 15 March or Tuesday 2, 9 and 16 March or Wednesday 3, 10 and 17 March from 10.00am to 3.00pm.  Attendance is for all three days.  Frida tabled brochures and nomination forms at the meeting.  For all enquires contact Clare Willcox, Manager Public Programs (MCA) on 9245 2462 or clare.willcox@mca.com.au 

 

Action:  For Information.

 

 

Guest Speaker: Dr Charlene Levitan, UNSW Study Coordinator

·         Dr Charlene explained that the Sydney Centenarian Study is research project that examines what factors may contribute to longevity and “successful ageing” – as there are few studies world wide.

·         UNSW are funding the project and are seeking volunteers who are 95 or above with varying abilities to participate in this project.

·         The project covers the 7 Local Government Areas of Randwick, Waverley, Woollahra, Kogarah, City of Sydney, Rockdale, Marrickville and Botany.

·         The project aims to gather information about the general physical and mental health abilities of people 95+, and what services they need but may not be currently receiving to maintain healthy living.

·         Participants can be assessed in Aged Care Facilities or in their own homes.

·         To date, 75 people have participated in the study.

·         30% of those participants are still living in their own homes with support from their families.

·         Stage 1 of the study involves a 1 x 1.5hr assessment and a basic medical exam, including blood pressure and a vision test.

·         Stage 2 involves a more in-depth study of the participant’s cognitive abilities and executive function. Participants will be asked to complete tasks of memory and other thinking skills.

·         In Stage 3 of the study, the participant’s psychological wellbeing is tested for symptoms of depression and anxiety.  Participants are invited to undertake an Autobiographical Memory Interview.

·         An MRI is also optional for some participants only.  Interpreters are available for each stage of the assessment.

·         Charlene reported that they are aiming for 300 participants and there is funding to run the study for the next 3 years.

·         Charlene tabled The Sydney Centenarian Study Participation Form and Family Consent Form.

·         Cr.Woodsmith thanked Charlene for attending the meeting.

 

Information Share:

·         Anna reported that SMCS provide Community Aged Care Packages (CACPS) for up to 80 clients from 13 different community groups, and are applying for funding for additional packages. They also provide Settlement services for newly arrived migrants and EPA vouchers to members of the general public (by appointment only).  SMCS are working on a new Quality Reporting System.

·         Sharon reported that Randwick Waverley Community Transport are waiting for funding from ADHC to extend their hours of operation – there has also been an increase for transport to medical appointments.

·         Randwick/Botany Seniors are involving residents from St Luke’s Retirement Village, Little Bay in their activities and have arranged a number of guest speakers for future meetings including Bill Conn and Pauline Kirby.

·         The Coast Centre for Seniors recommenced their full program of classes from the 18th January.  They offer 30 different classes Monday to Friday from 9am to 3pm, and hope to start a men exercise program.

·         Billee reported that a number of tours have been booked at the Nursing and Medical Museum and that the Prince Henry Hospital Trained Nurses Association are planning for their reunion this year. 

·         Susan reported the Division of General Practice is continuing to provide Falls Prevention, Physiotherapy and Psychology sessions in aged care facilities (Low Care only). 

·         Frida reported that Council will be Celebrating Chinese New Year at Pacific Square, Maroubra on Saturday 13 February, 11am – 3pm.

 

Correspondece

·         News for Seniors Summer 2009

·         CPSA, The Voice February 2010

·         Randwick Waverley Community Transport Newsletter

 

The meeting ended at 11.15am

 

Date of Next Meeting:  To be held on Wednesday 3 March 2009 from 10.00am to 11.30am, Randwick Room.


Older Persons Advisory Committee March Minutes

Attachment 7

 

 

MINUTES

Randwick City Council

Older Persons Reference Group

Meeting held on Wednesday 3 March 2010

 

 

Present

Cr. Margaret Woodsmith      Randwick City Council

Frida Kitas                        Randwick City Council

Linda Mearing                    Coast Centre for Seniors

Billee King                         Community Representative

Susan McCann                   Division of General Practice

George Gergely                  Community Representative

Sharon Blunt                     Randwick/Waverley Community Transport

Ron Wood                         National Seniors – Randwick Botany Branch

Mike Cornell                      National Seniors – Randwick Botany Branch

 

Apologies

Simon Bennetts                 South East Neighbourhood Centre

Julie Bolan                        Prince of Wales Community Health

Marlene Kerr                      Coast Centre for Senior

Anna Lipoma                     Sydney Multicultural Centre

Megan Bowyer                   Junction Neighbourhood Centre

Keith Francis                     Community Representative

 

Introductions

 

1. Minutes

The minutes of the meeting held on 3 February 2010 were confirmed. 

 

2. Business Arising from Minutes

 

2.1      Seniors Week 2010 (March 21-28)

Frida tabled flyers & posters for Seniors Week events and activities at the meeting. 

 

Action: For Information.

 

2.2      Superannuation Seminar Update

The Committee was informed that the Superannuation Seminar has been postponed until the latter part of the year.  Frida will continue to keep the Committee updated in regards to the Seminar.

 

Action:  For noting.

 

2.3      Access Issues, previous meeting

Frida provided an update about the access issues at Westfield Eastgardens raised by George at the November 2009 meeting.  The request to provide access to Level 2 of the shopping area, prior to 9am would involve a reduction in floor space from Hoyts.  Due to size, the shutter door at the entrance to the Cinema cannot be relocated and Westfield would need to build a false wall to provide appropriate access, at a cost to the Centre.

This undertaking would also require Westfield to renegotiate their lease with Hoyts, which is not a viable option at present.  The Committee was also informed that Westfield will be undertaking a review of all signage in their car parks to better direct traffic flow and will upgrading all entrances to the Centre.

 

Action:  For Noting.

 


3   General Business

 

3.1      Collection of Garbage Bins

Frida reported that Council has put procedures in place to ensure all garbage bins in Randwick City are returned to their original point of presentation when the runners from WSN Environment Solutions have emptied them.  This issue was raised by George at the previous meeting. 

 

Action:  For Noting.

 

3.2      The Spot Film & Food Festival

Frida reported that Council is hosting the annual Spot Food and Film Festival from 1pm – 7pm on Sunday 7 March at St Pauls Street and Perouse Road.  This free local community event will include a range of entertainment, market stalls and international food.  For more information visit www.randwick.nsw.gov.au.   Frida tabled flyers at the meeting.

 

Action:  For noting.

 

3.3      Community Education Sessions – Arthritis NSW

The Committee was informed that Arthritis NSW are able to offer a number of community education sessions that are conducted by health professionals or trained volunteers.  Education sessions available include Arthritis – Looking after your Joints, Osteoporosis – Maintaining Health Bones and Medicines and Pain Management.  For more information visit www.arthritisnsw.org.au.  Frida will also send Committee members hard copies of EOI forms.

 

Action:  Frida to send Committee members hard copies of EOI forms.

 

3.4      Vision Care NSW

The Committee was informed that Vision NSW has developed a website.  Stakeholders are invited to review the website at www.visioncarensw.com.au.

 

Action:  For noting.

 

 

Guest Speaker:  Kerrie Walshaw, Randwick Council Buildings for our Community

Kerry was scheduled to attend the meeting to give a presentation on Council’s Buildings for our Community Program and the proposed funding for the program through a special levy.  Frida will electronically circulate copies of the presentation to Committee members.  Council is seeking feedback on the program.  For more information join the on-line discussion at www.bangthetable.com or visit www.randwick.nsw.gov.au or phone our Call Centre on 1300 722 542.

 

 

Information Share:

·         Sharon reported that Randwick Waverley Community Transport have received funding from ADHC for service expansion.  New Service Operating Hours for individual transport, social and medical appointments Monday – Thursday from 6.30am – 6.00pm and Friday 6.30am – 4.30pm.  RWCT have purchased a new accessible bus and vehicle to meet the demands of the expanded service delivery.

·         Randwick Waverley Community Transport are also investigating the possibility of a shuttle bus service to operate from the Prince Henry corridor to Prince of Wales Hospital.

·         Linda reported the Coast Centre held a successful health forum that included presentations from Dr Henry Broda`ty and a falls specialist from POW Community Health.  Membership to the Centre has also increased.

·         Ron mentioned that the Randwick Botany Seniors have organised a bus trips for 80 members to the Rose Festival in Goulburn on Sunday 14 March. 

·         Simon Bennetts from SENC is also attending National Senior meetings to provide updates on services, support and programs available to Seniors residing in Botany and Randwick.

 

Correspondece

·         Insite Newletter February – March 2010

·         Parklands Autumn 2010

·         The Voice CPSA, March 2010

·         Randwick Waverley Community Transport Newsletter

 

The meeting ended at 11.15am

 

Date of Next Meeting:  To be held on Wednesday 7 April 2009 from 10.00am to 11.30am, Randwick Room.


Older persons Advisory Committee April Minutes

Attachment 8

 

 

MINUTES

Randwick City Council

Older Persons Reference Group

Meeting held on Wednesday 7 April 2010

 

 

Present

Cr. Margaret Woodsmith      Randwick City Council

Frida Kitas                        Randwick City Council

Billee King                         Community Representative

Susan McCann                   Division of General Practice

Marlene Kerr                      Coast Centre for Seniors

George Gergely                  Community Representative

Simon Bennetts                 South East Neighbourhood Centre

Ron Wood                         National Seniors – Randwick Botany Branch

 

Apologies

Julie Bolan                        Prince of Wales Community Health

Linda Mearing                    Coast Centre for Seniors

Anna Lipoma                     Sydney Multicultural Centre

Megan Bowyer                   Junction Neighbourhood Centre

Keith Francis                     Community Representative

Mike Cornell                      National Seniors – Randwick Botany Branch

Sharon Blunt                     Randwick/Waverley Community Transport

 

Introductions

 

1. Minutes

The minutes of the meeting held on 3 March 2010 were confirmed.

 

2. Business Arising from Minutes

 

2.1      Seniors Week 2010 (March 21-28)

Frida reported there was an overwhelming positive response to activities and events held during Seniors Week.  A total of 90 people attended the Evening Tour at The Prince Henry Hospital Nursing and Medical Museum on Wednesday 24 March.  The Therapeutic Gardening Workshop held on Saturday 20 March attracted over 30 residents, and over 200 Senior’s and carers from Non-English backgrounds attended a series of Healthy Living Workshops delivered by Eastern Sydney Multicultural Access Project (ESMAP).  A free full day Playwriting and Performance workshop will also be held on Saturday 10 April at Bowen Library and Community Centre.

 

Action: For Information.

 

2.2      Randwick Council Building Levy

The Committee discussed at length issues and concerns raised about Council’s Buildings for our Community Program and the proposed funding for the program, through a special levy.  Frida previously circulated copies of a power point presentation in relation to the program to Committee members.

 

Action:  For Information

 

3   General Business

 

3.1      RCC CDSE Scheme Grants

The Committee was informed that Council is inviting local non-profit community groups and organisations to apply for funding under the 2010 Randwick Community Development and Support Expenditure (CDSE) Scheme.  Under the Scheme, local clubs contribute funding to help non-profit groups in Randwick to provide vital services for our community.  Applications must be received by Friday 30 April.  Frida previously circulated electronic copies of application forms and information kits to Committee members. 

 

Action:  For Noting.

 

3.2      National Volunteer Week

The Committee was informed that Council will be hosting a thank you morning tea at the Lodge Room on Friday 14 May from 10.30am to 12pm, in recognition of the vast contributions made by volunteers to the local community each year.  Volunteers will be invited to attend the morning tea from a range of community organisations within Randwick City.  The theme for National Volunteer Week, 10-16 May is “Volunteering: Now, more than ever”. 

 

Action:  For Noting.

 

3.3      Action in Ageing

Frida tabled the book Action in Ageing written by Olga Anderson OAM AAA CM.  Copies of the book are available for $20.00. 

 

Action:  For Information.

 

3.4      Randwick Marine Discovery Program

Frida reported that Council will be running a Marine Discovery program which will include a range of activities, presentations and tours from April 12-15.  Frida tabled flyers and posters at the meeting.  For further information visit Council’s website www.randwick.nsw.gov.au.

 

Action:  For Noting.

 

3.5      Free Legal Seminar

Simon informed the Committee that South East Neighbourhood Centre will be presenting a free legal seminar for Older People and the Law on Wednesday 28 April from 10.30am – 12.pm at Eastlakes Scout Hall.  Guest speakers from Kingsford Legal Centre, The Aged Care Rights Services (TARS) and NSW Legal AID will talk about issues concerning Wills, Loans, Gifts etc.  Registrations are essential - please contact 8338 8506 to book a place.  Morning tea and a shuttle bus service will also be provided on the day.  Frida reported that Randwick Council in conjunction with Kingsford Legal Centre will be holding an additional Legal Seminar for Older People later in the year.  Simon tabled flyers for the Legal Seminar at the meeting.

 

Action:  For Noting.

 

 

Information Share:

·         Cr.Woodsmith mentioned the Neighbour Day Program that was profiled in the Southern Courier.  Action:  Frida to provide more information about the program at the May meeting.

·         Frida advised the Committee that Shirley Smith will resume attending Advisory Committee meetings, commencing from May.

·         Ron reported that he attended a Free Men’s Health & Wellbeing Fair hosted by Woollahra Council during Seniors Week.  Ron suggested that Randwick Council should consider hosting a similar event during 2011 Seniors Week or Men’s Health Week.

 

Correspondece

·         SENC Newsletter, Issue 20, 2010

·         Wayside Chapel Newsletter 2010

·         Council on the Ageing Newsletter March 2010

 

The meeting ended at 11.15am

 

Date of Next Meeting:  To be held on Wednesday 5 May 2010 from 10.00am to 11.30am, Randwick Room.


Older Persons Advisory Committee May Minutes

Attachment 9

 

 

MINUTES

Randwick City Council

Older Persons Reference Group

Meeting held on Wednesday 5 May 2010

 

 

Present

Frida Kitas                        Randwick City Council

Billee King                         Community Representative

Susan McCann                   Division of General Practice

Shirley Smith                     Computer Pals

Simon Bennets                   South East Neighbourhood Centre

Ron Wood                         National Seniors – Randwick Botany Branch

Mike Cornell                      National Seniors – Randwick Botany Branch

 

Apologies

Cr. Margaret Woodsmith      Randwick City Council

Anna Lipoma                     Sydney Multicultural Centre

Marlene Kerr                      Coast Centre for Seniors

Linda Mearing                    Coast Centre for Seniors

George Gergely                  Community Representative

Keith Francis                     Community Representative

Megan Bowyer                   Junction Neighbourhood Centre

Julie Bolan                        Prince of Wales Community Health

Sharon Blunt                     Randwick/Waverley Community Transport

 

Introductions

Frida issued a warm welcome to Shirley Smith who has rejoined the Committee.

 

1. Minutes

The minutes of the meeting held on 7 April 2010 were confirmed.

 

2. Business Arising from Minutes

 

2.1      Seniors Week 2010

Frida reported that Council held a Playwriting and Performance workshop on Saturday 10 April at Bowen Library and Community Centre.  Feedback from the workshop was overwhelmingly positive. Participants also requested that Council consider the possibility of holding the workshops over 2 days to provide participants with the opportunity to further develop their skills.  In addition, over 180 Seniors and carers from non-English speaking backgrounds attended a series of Healthy Living workshops facilitated by Eastern Sydney Multicultural Access Project (ESMAP), and supported by Randwick Council.  Workshop topics included: Accessing Multicultural Health Services, Nutrition and dealing with Mental Health issues.

 

Action: For Information.

 

2.2      Neighbour Day

The Committee was informed that Neighbourhood Day is national annual celebration of community held on the last Sunday in March.  Neighbourhood Day began in Melbourne in 2003 and has been a catalyst for bringing neighbours together through council run and sponsored events in local parks etc.  This annual celebration aims to strengthen communities, break down community barriers and protect the elderly, the vulnerable and disadvantaged.  The Committee discussed the possibility of holding an information session in 2011 to promote existing services and support to help break down social isolation, due to the high proportion of residents living alone in apartment buildings and in public housing estates n Randwick City. 

 

Action:  For Consideration.

 

3   General Business

 

3.1    Seniors Writing Program

The Committee was informed that Legacies for a better world: seniors on sustainability is a project aimed at those aged 55+ who have a passion for writing and want to share their experiences of green living.  Council is looking for 30 people to participate in five – two hour writing workshops with author. Joanne Fedler.  The workshops will be held on Monday 31 May, 7, 21, 28 June and 5 July from 10am – 12pm at Randwick Branch Library.  You must be able to attend all five workshops to take part in the project.  For further information call Michelle on 9314 4888 or email michelle.kline@randwick.nsw.gov.auFrida tabled information and registration form at the meeting.

 

Action:  For Noting.

 

3.2      Access Issues

Ron requested that Council provide additional bins in and around Council’s beaches and parks and for the size of the bins to be increased.  Discussion also followed in regards to the need for at least 2 more disability parking spaces on Arthur Street and Clara Streets, Randwick.

 

Action:  Frida to forward requests on the behalf of the Older Persons Advisory Committee to City Services.

 

3.3      Mixed Gender Wards

Frida informed the Committee that a letter will be drafted to the CEO of NSW Health on behalf of the Older Persons Advisory Committee in response to the issue of mixed gender wards.  Billee suggested that the letter should make reference to the Garling Inquiry which recommends that genderless wards be abolished because they are undignified and impede patient care.  A hospital hotline was also introduced in response to the Garling inquiry, which is on the NSW Health website.  Mixed gender bed hotline: 1800 700 820.

 

Action:  Frida to draft letter and table copy at the August meeting.

 

Information Share:

·         Simon reported the South Eastern Sydney Division of General Practice (SESDGP) have compiled a new brochure outlining community transport options available in the Randwick, Waverley, Woollahra, Botany and City of Sydney LGAs.  Simon will table the brochures at the July meeting.

·         Ron reported that the National Seniors zone conference will be held on 21 May at South Juniors.  Author Pauline Kirby will be a guest speaker.

·         Shirley reported that Computer Pals are continuing to operate from UNSW, classed are continuing to be well attended.

·         Frida reported that The Junction Neighbourhood Centre will be having an Open Day to Wednesday 12th May from 10am – 1pm to celebrate Neighbourhood Centre Week and Volunteer Week at Level 3, Bowen Library and at Shop 2, 669-673 Anzac Parade, Maroubra.  Transport options are available on the day.  RSVP to The JNC 9349 8200 by Friday 7th May.

 

Correspondece

·         Insite Newsletter, April – May 2010

·         CPSA, The Voice Newsletter May 2010

·         The Junction News, Autumn 2010

·         55 Plus Newsletter June 2010

 

The meeting ended at 11.15am

 

Date of Next Meeting:  To be held on Wednesday 2 June 2010 from 10.00am to 11.30am, Randwick Room.


Older Persons Advisory Committee June Minutes

Attachment 10

 

 

MINUTES

Randwick City Council

Older Persons Reference Group

Meeting held on Wednesday 2 June 2010

 

 

Present

Cr. Margaret Woodsmith      Randwick City Council

Frida Kitas                        Randwick City Council

Billee King                         Community Representative

Shirley Smith                     Computer Pals

Linda Mearing                    Coast Centre for Seniors

George Gergely                  Community Representative

Simon Bennetts                 South East Neighbourhood Centre

Ron Wood                         National Seniors – Randwick Botany Branch

Mike Cornell                      National Seniors – Randwick Botany Branch

 

Apologies

Susan McCann                   Division of General Practice

Anna Lipoma                     Sydney Multicultural Centre

Marlene Kerr                      Coast Centre for Seniors

Keith Francis                     Community Representative

Megan Bowyer                   Junction Neighbourhood Centre

Julie Bolan                        Prince of Wales Community Health

Sharon Blunt                     Randwick/Waverley Community Transport

 

1. Minutes

The minutes of the meeting held in May to confirmed at the July meeting.

 

2. Business Arising from Minutes

 

2.1      Volunteer Morning Tea

The Committee was informed that 130 volunteers from a range community organisations and groups within Randwick City and surrounding areas attended a thank you morning tea with the Mayor on Friday 14 May.  In addition, Bill Conn, local director and actor, spoke about his work as a volunteer with Vision Australia.  The thank you morning tea was held during National Volunteer Week which is celebration on an annual basis from May 10 - 16. 

 

Action: For Information.

 

2.2      Community Patient Brochure.

Frida tabled copies of the information brochure at the meeting.  The brochure outlines the types of Community Transport providers available to meet the needs of transport disadvantaged groups in the community including isolated families, frail aged, people with disabilities and their carers.  Simon explained that only Randwick Waverley Community Transport and South Sydney Community Transport provide individual patient transport for medical and hospital related appointments for HACC clients. The information brochure will also assist new HACC clients who need to access a range of services and support.

 

Action:  For Information

 

3   General Business

 

3.1    PAMP Study – West Ward

The Committee was informed that Council is seeking feedback to help develop a Pedestrian Access Mobility Plan (PAMP) for Kensington and parts of West Kingsford.  The PAMP aims to improve the planning of pedestrian and access facilities in Kensington and Kingsford with a focus on areas frequently used by pedestrians.  Kensington and West Kingsford residents can also send their comments and ideas to Council by completing the online survey - the questionnaire will also be extended to residents and visitors to Randwick City.  The deadline for comments and the survey return is Thursday 10 June 2010.  In addition, Council will be organising a joint workshop on the Pedestrian and Mobility Plan with representatives from the Kensington Precinct sub-committee.  Members of the Access and Older Person’s Advisory Committees will also be invited to attend and participate in the workshop.  Invitations will be circulated within the next few weeks.

 

Action:   Council to invite members of the Older Persons and Access Advisory Committees to attend the PAMP workshop in June.

 

3.2      JNC Automated Sliding Doors

The Committee was informed that the automated sliding doors have been installed at the Junction Neighbourhood Centre to improve access for people with disabilities, the frail elderly and mothers with prams. 

 

Action:  For Noting.

 

3.3      Reconciliation Week

To celebrate Reconciliation Week, Council will be organising a Walk in the Kamay Botany Bay National Park on Thursday June 3 from 9.45 – 3pm.  Bookings are essential for this free community event on 9399 0893.  Frida tabled flyers/posters at the meeting.

 

Action:  For Information.

 

3.4      Spanish Speakers Information Night

The Committee was informed that Council will be hosting a Spanish Speakers Information Night on Wednesday 16 June at Bowen Library from 6pm to 8.30pm.  Service providers will give advice and information on a range of topics about: Centrelink, community services, housing, employment and immigration.  For further information contact Colin Rosenfeld on 9399 0678.  Flyers for the information night were tabled at the meeting and electronically circulated to Committee members.

 

Action:  For Noting.

 

3.5      Healthy Living Workshops for Seniors

Frida reported that over 600 Seniors and carers from non-English speaking backgrounds have attended the healthy living workshops that were organised by Eastern Sydney Multicultural Access Project (ESMAP) and supported by Council over the past 6 months.  Council has applied to SESIAHS for additional funding to run expanded healthy living workshops for 2010/11, which will also include people with a disability from non-English speaking backgrounds.

 

Action:  For Noting.

 

3.6      Older Driver Education Program

The Committee was informed that Council are planning to hold a presentation on “The Years Ahead” program for older drivers in conjunction with the NRMA.  The presentation will be held on Thursday 2 September from 11am, 3rd Floor, Bowen Library and Community Centre, and will be delivered by a trained NRMA presenter from within the peer age group.  The presentation will include information about changes to legislation, safe driving tips, vehicle and pedestrian safety and mobility alternatives.  The presentation is free and a light lunch will be provided. 

 

Action:  For Noting.

3.7      Access Issues

Ron raised the need for additional disability parking spaces near the Ritz Cinema at Randwick.  Frida reported that in 2009, Council installed 3 angled disability parking spaces near the Ritz Cinema to facilitate access to the venue for people with disabilities and the frail elderly.  Ron also requested an update in regards to the access issues raised from the previous meetings.  Discussion also followed about the need for additional seating facilities throughout the City of Randwick to provide opportunities for rest for people with mobility impairments. 

 

Action:  Frida to invite Tony Lemann, Manager of Integrated Transport to provide an update at the August Advisory Committee meeting.

 

Information Share:

·         Cr.Woodsmith reported that she attended the International Federation on Ageing 10th Annual Global Conference at Melbourne from 3 – 6 May 2010.  The conference explored issues impacting the ageing population globally and was hosted by Council on the Ageing Victoria (COTA Vic) and the International Federation on Ageing (IFA).

·         Simon reported that SENC are preparing their quarterly newsletter and have capacity for their food service in the Randwick LGA.

·         Linda reported that statistics for May have indicated that 1800 people have accessed the Coast Centre for various activities.  There has been an increase of 19 new members for April and 20 in May. The Centre also has a new look website www.coastcentre.org.au.  The Centre is now being used after hours by a dance school and for aerobics classes.

·         Shirley Smith reported that Computer Pals have purchased new computers and equipment and are looking to engage more tutors for classes.  Frida suggested that Shirley approach VAST at The Junction Neighbourhood Centre to source possible volunteer tutors.

·         Ron reported that that National Seniors held their zone conference on 21st May at South Sydney Juniors.

·         Billee reported that the Nursing Museum has 8 tours booked for June and the chapel has also been highly utilised in the past few months.

 

Date of Next Meeting:  To be held on Wednesday 7 July 2010 from 10.00am to 11.30am, Randwick Room.


Older Persons Advisory Committee July Minutes

Attachment 11

 

 

MINUTES

Randwick City Council

Older Persons Reference Group

Meeting held on Wednesday 7 July 2010

 

 

Present

Cr. Margaret Woodsmith      Randwick City Council

Frida Kitas                        Randwick City Council

Marlene Kerr                      Coast Centre for Seniors

Billee King                         Community Representative

Susan McCann                   Division of General Practice

George Gergely                  Community Representative

Simon Bennetts                 Randwick/Waverley Community Transport

Ron Wood                         National Seniors – Randwick Botany Branch

Mike Cornell                      National Seniors – Randwick Botany Branch

 

Apologies

Anna Lipoma                     Sydney Multicultural Centre

Linda Mearing                    Coast Centre for Seniors

Megan Bowyer                   Junction Neighbourhood Centre

Julie Bolan                        Prince of Wales Community Health

Keith Francis                     Community Representative

Sharon Blunt                     Randwick/Waverley Community Transport

 

 

1. Minutes

The minutes of the meetings held on May and June 2010 were confirmed.

 

2. Business Arising from Minutes

 

2.1      RCC Cultural Grants Program

Frida reported that applications requesting funding or in-kind assistance from Council for a project, activity or event to be held from October to March will need to be received by Council by COB on Monday 23 August 2010.  Applicants can seek grants from Council for the following: In-kind contribution only (waiver of Council and charges), Cash contributions only or a combination of in-kind and cash contribution.

 

Action: For consideration.

 

2.1      PAMP Study (West Ward)

The Committee was informed that Council held a joint workshop on the Pedestrian and Mobility Plan (PAMP) with representatives from the Kensington Precinct sub-committee and the Older Persons and Access Advisory Committee on Tuesday 22 June 2010.  A total of 91 submissions were received in response to Council’s online survey.  A series of recommendations from the PAMP process will form a draft proposal that will be placed on public exhibition and advertised via the Mayors Column.  The joint meeting also helped to identify a number of pedestrian issues and a work program for Council to consider over the next 10 years. 

A footpath audit of all the high priority areas was also identified from the meeting and Council is planning to undertake Pedestrian and mobility plans of all wards in Randwick City.  Frida thanked Ron for participating in the joint meeting.

 

Action:  For Information.

 


2.2      Superannuation Seminar

The Committee was informed that the National Seniors Superannuation consultation seminar will now be held either in latter part of this year or early in 2011, due to the delays with the Cooper Review.

 

Action:  For noting.

 

2.3    Access issues from previous meeting

The Committee was informed that Tony Lehmann, Manager Integrated Transport will be attending the August meeting to provide an update in relation to the access issues raised from the previous meetings. 

 

Action:  For noting.

 

3   General Business

 

3.1      RTA Traffic Signal Boxes

The Committee was informed that Council are seeing to work with local community organisations on the proposed RTA signal boxes project in the local government area.  Local community artist, Angela Yeend will work with interested organisations to develop artwork for the signal boxes and will facilitate workshops in regards to the initial design phase of the project.  Angela will then undertake all painting for the signal boxes when the artwork is completed.  Frida tabled samples of the RTA signal boxes that were completed in the Leichardt LGA.

 

Action:  For consideration.

 

3.2      Access Issues

Ron requested for signage to be installed indicating that motorists can turn right from Barker Street into Avoca Street.  Frida to forward request for signage on the behalf of the Committee to City Services for consideration.

 

Action:  Frida to forward request to City Services and provide an update at the August meeting.

 

 

Guest Speaker:  Alison Heuschkel, Joint Care Planning Coordinator, Prince of Wales Community Health

·         Alison explained that JCP is a program which enables clients, service providers, carers and advocates to meet at a flexible and portable forum to collaboratively develop a comprehensive care plan.

·         Alison is based at POW Community Health and is an independent and impartial case coordinator who organises and facilitates the case conference, and subsequent case reviews.

·         The program aims to improve community service coordination and effectiveness and thus improve the clients care situation.

·         Clients must have identified service needs and requests for services can be made through the Northern Network Access and Referral Centre (NNARC) on 9369 0400.

·         Clients referred must also meet HACC criteria

·         The client is the primary driver of the care of the care situation and where possible is a participant in the process.

·         Permission must be gained from the client before any case coordination process commences. 

·         Clients must be aware and agreeable to the process.

·         Current care arrangements for the client are clarified in the forum and evaluation plans are established.

·         Strategies are developed to improve communication between service providers – as multiple parties are usually involved in the clients care plan.

·         Clients are referred to the service with complex care needs, when there are disagreements in service provision, role clarification or task allocation is needed or when there is an overlap in service provision.

·         The Forum focuses on client strengths and capabilities.

·         JCP is not a case management service

·         Referrals are accepted for clients living in the following LGAs: Botany, Randwick, Waverley Woollahra and City of Sydney.

·         For further information about the program please contact Alison Heuschkel, Joint Care Planning Coordinator on 9382 8041.

 

Information Share:

·         Simon reported that SENCs Food Service Program is now run in-house.  Simon tabled SENC’s quarterly newsletter at the meeting.

·         Susan reported that the Division’s Aged Care Assessment initiative for 09/10 has ended and was well received in many low care facilities.  The program has also been funded for the next financial year.

 

Correspondece

·         CPSA, The Voice Newsletter July 2010

·         SENC Newsletter

·         The Coast Centre for Seniors Newsletter, Winter 2010

·         South Eastern News, July/August 2010

·         COTA Connections, June 2010

 

The meeting ended at 11.15am

 

Date of Next Meeting:  To be held on Wednesday 4 August 2010 from 10.00am to 11.30am, Randwick Room.